We are searching for a high-calibre counsel to help lead our commercial needs in Canada. This is a rare opportunity for a lawyer to join an innovative and exciting tech company and gain substantive, hands-on experience with business clients and external partners.
You will be based at Uber's Toronto office.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with our Canada legal team and other members of the legal department globally on commercial contracts, marketing, corporate, and product matters.
- Act as a point of contact on issues for the business in Canada as well as for teams at our HQ in San Francisco.
- Be an active partner, and ensure the provision of timely business-focused advice, to a variety of areas including Uber’s Mobility (Rides) and Delivery (Uber Eats) businesses.
- Negotiating and drafting commercial contracts such as B2B deals with merchants for Uber Eats, promotional agreements, and third-party partnerships.
- Provide legal review of communications, marketing materials and advise on new and existing products.
- Instruct outside counsel on corporate matters like resolutions and annual returns.
- Practice ground-breaking law as you work on deals for a ground breaking industry.
- You'll take ownership of ensuring we have the right processes and tools available to enable the team's capability to scale as the business does.
- Provide strategic and proactive legal advice to internal business groups. It's our job to peer around corners for the business and ensure that we are well positioned for the future.
- J.D. or LL.B and license to practice law in at least one Canadian province.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience gained in-house, in private practice, or a combination of those.
- Experience gained at an in-house environment, particularly at a company that offers consumer-facing products.
- Broad-based experience where transactional, consumer protection, competition, marketing, and corporate law were all major areas of focus.
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts, ideally including technology agreements.
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced, high-functioning environment where the law is still developing.
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of a matter, and articulate plans to address them.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with ability to build relationships, gain credibility, find compromise, and partner with others.
- Enthusiastic about Uber’s values and mission!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.