Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
Our culture and our people are what make us, US. We have a passion to connect with the world around us:
to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Our award-winning culture is an expression of who we are, what we do, and how we thrive. Our values describe our culture in action. They outline how we achieve our goals, work together, engage with partners, and interact in our communities. At Corus, we Win Together, Think Beyond, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day and Show We Care.
Ready to join US? Division:
Legal Work Status:
Full Time Location:
About the Role
The Corus Legal, Regulatory and Governance Department has an exciting opportunity to join our Content Legal Team as a Senior Counsel, Content. The successful candidate will play a key role in Corus’ international sales businesses including Nelvana’s merchandising licensing activities and our television distribution business. They will also contribute their deep experience in merchandising and distribution to our content development and production work as part of our Content Creation Legal Centre of Excellence.
- Structuring, drafting and negotiating all manner of commercial agreements relating to international merchandising licensing and international television program distribution;
- Advising on merchandising and/or distribution related aspects of audio-visual content development and production activities within Corus and, possibly, in respect of short-form and other digital content, news and other non-dramatic in-house produced programming;
- Develop, maintain and update standard deal structures/models and templates to ensure efficiency and continued application of best practices;
- Working with, and day-to-day advice to, and supervision of, a small team, including driving high engagement and morale, coaching and mentoring, and fostering development of independence, skills, and knowledge in accordance with individual team members’ capabilities and career goals; and
- Support, facilitate and coordinate with, the complementary work of other functional teams throughout all stages of deal negotiation.
Qualification, Knowledge, Experience Essential:
- Lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Minimum of 5 years of legal or business affairs experience in merchandising licensing and audio-visual content distribution including deep experience in: retail licensing programs and brands in various product categories; and film and television distribution and sales. Candidates with less experience will be considered based on the nature and extent of that experience; and
- Experience with all manner of agreements in these areas including merchandising and television licensing agreements, merchandising representation and agency agreements, toy royalty agreements, film and television distribution agreements, and all ancillary documentation. Must have knowledge of customary and evolving industry standards and practices.
- Experience with audio-visual content development and production including knowledge of Canadian content regulations and the rules and regulations of public financing sources for Canadian content including tax credits and CMF;
- Familiarity with other stages and ancillary activities in the television program business cycle including broadcast/exhibitor commissioning, program acquisitions and news programming, and/or ancillary content businesses including publishing and longform audio content; and
- Oral and written fluency in French.
- Excellent drafting skills (clear, concise), including being comfortable drafting novel agreements without the benefit of on-point templates;
- Strong decision-making ability in the face of incomplete information, uncertain outcomes and multiple competing and/or conflicting objectives;
- Adept at striking a balance between timing-exigent pragmatic pursuit of business objectives, on the one hand, with management of key legal risks and sufficient attention to detail on the other hand;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in the face of competing priorities including proactive persistent energy in advancing files;
- “Team first” orientation, with the capability of working both collaboratively and independently as required; and
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work well with individuals at all levels of the organization with the utmost of respect and professionalism.
Every day, we work hard to become an even more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that supports the well-being of our people and makes a positive difference in our communities. Want to learn more? Have a look at our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan and Sustainability Report for more information on our approach to People, Planet and Responsibility.
We want our workforce to reflect the full diversity of communities across Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience for candidates of all abilities. Please let your recruiter or the hiring manager know if you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process or email us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org. How to Apply:
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Legal Job Board in Toronto