Facilitates the provision of high-quality legal advice and file oversight in the areas of litigation, privacy law and liability avoidance. Specifically, the role is responsible for researching, preparing, negotiating, executing and overseeing the preparation of documents in the majority of legal proceedings the company faces before various courts and administrative tribunals. The role is also responsible for ensuring organizational privacy law compliance and providing legal support to internal business units on a range of matters with a focus on risk mitigation and liability avoidance advice.
The incumbent is expected to behave ethically and follow the established code of business conduct, policies and internal control procedures, laws and regulations governing Toronto Hydro.
Toronto Hydro has implemented a mandatory vaccination requirement for all its employees. Proof of full vaccination will be required upon receiving a conditional offer of employment. Toronto Hydro will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to disability or any other ground protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Litigation File Carriage and Oversight:
- Acts as lead counsel in litigation matters pursued by the company for loss resulting from property damage or other financial harm.
- Acts as lead counsel, or supervises and instructs external counsel, in defending the company from significant litigation matters pursued against it.
- Makes recommendations and develops legal strategies for the handling of litigation files/portfolio, in alignment with internal and external drivers.
- Provides advice, consultation and representation in proceedings to safeguard the interests of the company on a range of matters before courts, boards, and tribunals.
- Drafts and reviews documentation to support litigation and claims files; prepares witnesses and conducts case evaluations and assessments related to all matters that arise within any particular proceeding.
- Provides day-to-day guidance, direction, feedback and coaching to law students, articling students and the litigation clerk in support of departmental objectives and development.
- Privacy Advice and Advocacy:
- Advises and supports the Chief Privacy Officer to ensure corporate compliance with all applicable privacy laws.
- Monitors the legislative and regulatory landscape in respect of privacy law and makes recommendations on best practices and trends which may impact the company, informing leadership of pertinent operational requirements and ensuring compliance with non-legal guidelines and standards.
- Leads engagement and communication activities for internal stakeholders to build understanding of privacy processes and procedures (including audits and investigations).
- Acts as the first point of contact for the business for all privacy-related inquiries in order to support organization compliance with privacy laws; reviews and responds to all freedom of information access requests and privacy complaints, including complaints and appeals filed with privacy and access regulators.
- Leads privacy incident investigations and handles notification and reporting obligations in respect of alleged privacy breaches to ensure compliance with privacy laws.
- Liability Avoidance and Risk Mitigation:
- Anticipates and mitigates potential legal liability within the organization and develops strategies to avoid legal risk.
- Researches and responds to a broad range of legal inquiries from business units, including those in relation to corporate, real property and regulatory compliance matters, and advises internal clients on liability and litigation avoidance.
- Assists the company ensure that responses to inquiries and requests from regulators are dealt with professionally, promptly and comprehensively.
- Provides advice, consultation and support to the business resolving conflicts/complaints pursuant to contractual obligations, applicable legislation, regulations, polices or procedures and in keeping with core business goals.
- Litigation Continuous Improvement:
- Makes recommendations and support continuous improvement of litigation management and technology systems, processes, systems and tools to advance compliance, productivity or performance.
- Undergraduate degree along with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) from a recognized Law School.
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Three (3) or more years of previous litigation or advocacy experience at a law firm or comparable in-house experience.
- Knowledge in civil and quasi-criminal litigation.
- Extensive knowledge of court procedures and process.
- Knowledge of legislation and common law impacting Toronto Hydro.
- Effective judgment and decision-making skills.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
Toronto Hydro has introduced a Hybrid Work Arrangement. This position allows for remote work up to three days per week, based on business needs. Employees will be required to come onsite on those days when they are involved in activities that they or their leader feel are better conducted in person. You are expected to live in Ontario and within reasonable commuting distance of the office. #LI-Hybrid