We Are Looking for a Senior Claims & Legal Counsel
Who We Are
We are Tokio Marine Canada (TMCAN), a new, entrepreneurial, start-up Canadian insurance company based in Toronto, with a focus on the commercial Property and Casualty industry. We are part of the Japanese-based Tokio Marine Group of Companies, one of the world’s largest and most reputable insurance organizations. At TMCAN we will work with select brokers across Canada providing business insurance solutions for Canadian customers across a broad spectrum of insurance coverages. Our Noble Purpose
We believe in a future Canadian Society that is innovative, progressive, and prosperous. This will require businesses to grow, challenge the status quo, and take calculated risks. We exist to help Canadian business by supporting them in the risks they take on by partnering with select professional brokers in providing practical solutions, superb service and being there in their times of need. We are Tokio Marine Canada – we aspire to be a Good Company – and you can trust us to always do the right thing. The Opportunity
Working closely with business leaders and your peers, we are looking for a Senior Claims & Legal Counsel. You will be providing support to the business units and functional units by reviewing and drafting agreements, providing legal advice, drafting and reviewing policy wordings, endorsements, and other product related wordings, with the ability to also handle claims. Our focus is simple - create the best team of professionals in the business. If you enjoy the excitement, challenges and rewards that come with creating better ways to do business, this may be the opportunity for you.What You Will Do
Your responsibilities will include:
Who You Are
- Review and draft agreements, contracts including indemnity agreements, non-disclosure agreements, intercompany reinsurance agreements, contracts from third party vendors (this includes working with and managing outside counsel who may be engaged to draft or review such agreements, contracts, etc)
- Provide advice and support to the business units on any contract related queries
- Work with and manage outside counsel corporate counsel who may be engaged to draft agreements and policy wordings or to provide opinions regarding contracts and wordings
- Review product wordings, drafting wordings and endorsements for the commercial and professional financial products (this includes working with outside counsel who may be engaged to draft such wordings)
- Provide marketing support to underwriting
- Act as claims examiner for commercial and professional financial lines claims
You are a practicing lawyer, or a lawyer in an in-house position (claims group, product development role, or working with General Counsel) at an insurer or brokerage. You are a team player with a positive attitude who thrives in a consensus culture with an emphasis on collaboration. You are a self-starter who is excited by the opportunity to jump right in and can come up to speed quickly. You are comfortable working on a lean team and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and do the work that needs to be done.Our New Senior Claims & Legal Counsel Will Have
What’s In It For You
- The ideal combination of education and experience including:
- University degree;
- LL.B or J.D. designation strongly preferred; other applicable law designations may be considered
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a practicing lawyer, lawyer in an in-house position in insurance, law clerk or paralegal
- Experience as an associate at a law firm involved in insurance related work – all or some of – contract drafting, policy wording drafting, defense, coverage work in commercial & specialty lines or experience at an insurance company or brokerage in these areas
- Regulatory experience with OSFI and provincial insurance regulators preferred but not required;
- Exposure to claims handling preferred but not required
- The ability to partner with our staff within different lines of business.
- A high level of organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A proven ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines, driving for results.
- Thought leadership and can innovate solutions quickly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working closely with others and enjoy an atmosphere of cross-collaboration.
- The ability to thrive in a changing environment and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Teams, and Outlook).
- Bilingual (English/French) preferred but not required.
You will have the opportunity to work with leadership and across teams and have an impact on the business, its growth, and the future of the company. The opportunities for the people that join Tokio Marine Canada are significant, from personal and professional growth to innovation and collaboration, we are committed to fostering an environment to help our people work together and realize their potential.
Opportunity awaits - come realize your potential at TMCAN!A Bit More About Us
At Tokio Marine, we are a new and growing company. We value collaboration and knowledge sharing and we actively seek out ideas. Your work will have an impact. We support our employees’ growth. We work hard to create a dynamic company culture that reflects our vision – to be a good company. We seek ways to give to help our communities and support causes important to our employees. We believe our employees represent the best this industry has to offer, and we want to keep building on that.
We work in a hybrid model and you should expect to split your time between working in the office and working remotely, with flexibility based on the role and the business needs. We currently have an office in downtown Toronto and will eventually be establishing offices in other provinces. Should you currently work in a province where we do not have an office, you will remain remote until such time as we do establish an office.
While we no longer require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, to protect the health & safety of our employees and communities, we fully support and highly recommend that all of our employees be fully vaccinated.
TMCAN is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment where employees feel valued and respected and where every employee has the opportunity to realize their potential. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please let us know.