Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us.
TD Legal is dedicated to providing industry-leading advice and counsel to all TD business segments and corporate functions. In this Senior Counsel, Cyber & Fraud role, you will join a dynamic and collegial team of legal professionals in the Privacy, Data, Cyber & Fraud team, who provide advice and incident management support in respect of a range of cybersecurity, fraud, privacy, data usage, data protection and governance matters.
The role offers complex, engaging and meaningful work, with an opportunity to work with and learn from seasoned legal practitioners and leaders from across the enterprise. It is dynamic, with the successful candidate offering support in the exciting, important and rapidly evolving fields of cybersecurity, fraud and cyber-fraud, while gaining exposure to strategically important areas of privacy law and data.
The general accountabilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Providing strategic, practical and timely legal advice to incident response teams, control partners, business units and other internal stakeholders in connection with cybersecurity, cyber-fraud and fraud incidents and investigations.
- Advising in respect of the Bank's obligations in relation to fraud and cybersecurity incidents, including any related privacy matters, regulatory reporting requirements and duties to customers, as well as potential recourse and remedial action.
- Providing holistic legal advice and support in respect of the development or enhancement of the Bank's customer identity, access management and other fraud prevention controls.
- Identifying key legal risks and mitigation strategies, while ensuring awareness among relevant stakeholders and other members of the TD Legal team.
- Oversight of external counsel performing work in areas of responsibility.
- Remaining current on evolving regulatory requirements and expectations in connection with a range of Privacy, Data, Cyber and Fraud issues, including cybersecurity legislation and regulatory guidelines, incident notification requirements, cybercrime, resiliency, critical infrastructure, data risk management, and third party risk, and advice on advocacy efforts relating to any such evolving regulatory requirements or related legislation.
- Contributing to high priority special projects and other Legal Department initiatives.
- Assisting with knowledge management in respect of advice given and other knowledge assets.
- Law degree from an accredited law school and qualified to practice law in Ontario
- 8-10 years relevant experience as a lawyer working with a major law firm or in-house (litigation, regulatory, technology or corporate experience preferred)
- Experience working on technology related matters with an ability to understand complex technology environments and terms (ie – cloud, cyber-attack techniques (ie-DDoS), blockchain)
- Litigation and/or incident response expertise
- Privacy expertise both federally and provincially
- Substantial expertise in a complex field and knowledge of broader related areas to demonstrate higher proficiency in legal analysis, legal writing, conflict resolution, business partner counsel and relationship management.
- Highly effective communicator (written and verbal)
- Strong judgment and interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify problems and barriers, and effectively implement solutions to advance business strategy
- Operates with creativity and innovation; seeks different perspectives and new ideas
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities
- Knowledge Management – Understands the value of knowledge management, builds and supports systems and tools that efficiently connect people to the knowledge they need to do their job
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.