Build Your Career at Aecon
Aecon is proud to build some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of this generation. From the roads and transit systems that connect our communities, to the communication networks that link us from coast-to-coast, and the water infrastructure that supplies our businesses and homes. Our integral work includes constructing the pipelines that join provinces with the energy that fuels the nation, and the airports and ports that connect us all. Aecon is there, safely and sustainably building the future.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise and teamwork of our employees. We are always searching the globe for exceptional candidates to join the Aecon family and be a part of our forward-thinking, innovative, best-in-class organization!
What is the Opportunity?
Scarborough Transit Connect (STC) is awarded the design and works of the Scarborough Subway Extension project. The Scarborough Subway Extension will bring the TTC’s Line 2 subway service nearly eight kilometers farther into Scarborough. It will extend from Kennedy Station to Sheppard Avenue and McCowan Road, providing quick and seamless transit for those heading into and out of the downtown core and those travelling within Scarborough. The extension will replace Line 3 (the Scarborough RT), helping to reduce travel times and improve access to jobs, schools and other key destinations throughout the city.
As part of the Scarborough Transit Connect project based in Scarborough, we are looking for a Legal Counsel to join our team. Reporting to the Commercial Director, you will provide legal advice to executives, support the bidding processes, enable business operations, the negotiation and closing of major project contracts, structured transactions, including design/build strategies for integrated project delivery on an assortment of contract delivery models.
What You’ll Do Here:
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- Provide legal leadership on behalf of the Scarborough Subway Extension project (SSE) for the drafting and negotiation of project agreements, drop-down construction and O&M contracts, consortium agreements, including joint venture or general partnership agreements, lender and other financing agreements, design services agreements, key subcontract and supply agreements, and other related documents.
- Identify core legal and commercial issues of importance to Aecon and work closely with senior Operations management and project bid teams to prepare negotiation positions and advocate said positions with counter-parties.
- Manage various project-related claims at different stages of the dispute resolution process, including dispute resolution board, adjudication, court and/or arbitration proceedings, and includes strategizing with project teams and instructing external counsel.
- Provide legal support for major concurrent project bids while ensuring the legal and risk review of processes and partnerships are maintained.
- Manage and monitor compliance with Aecon’s policies in relation to the approvals required for major project bid submissions.
- Build strong partnerships and work collaboratively with senior executives, external counsel, consultants and other stakeholders.
- Fostering and promoting a work environment that is: productive, collaborative, inclusive and diverse with a team culture of integrity, professionalism and excellence.
- You are an active member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- You have demonstrated working experience/knowledge of commercial contract laws.
- You have 3 or more years legal experience in a private practice or as in-house counsel specializing in contract review and negotiations.
- You have demonstrated experience with transactional legal support, which may include public-private partnerships, project finance, mergers and acquisitions or commercial real estate.
- You have demonstrated versatility with the ability to learn new business structures.
- You have demonstrated verbal reasoning skills with the ability to interpret the precise definition of written documents such as contracts, legislation and case decisions.
- You are an effective communicator, negotiator and consensus builder and can effectively influence without formal authority and work collaboratively with colleagues and divergent stakeholder positions.
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to adhering to the objectives and requirements outlined in the Accessible Canada Act (ACA), and to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, through the implementation of the requirements of the ACA and its applicable regulations. If you require accommodation under the ACA Act during any step of the application process please click here.