is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Our Legal and Corporate Commercial Services team is currently seeking a talented corporate and commercial lawyer to join our busy and collegial legal team, located in downtown Toronto. Reporting to a Director, Legal Services, the successful candidates will be required to provide proactive, timely and strategic advice to senior business leaders and their teams, or business units, gaining exposure to a wide variety of work on a broad range of matters for complex infrastructure construction projects, including preconstruction work, procurement, and construction disputes. Successful candidates will also work through collaboration and partnership with other transit agencies, multiple regional and municipal governments in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, the federal government, and the private sector.
Ideal candidates will have 5 - 8 years of Corporate and Commercial experience with an emphasis on Construction and/or Infrastructure law preferred , gained from a law firm, corporation, or government agency. Excellent drafting skills and experience working with complex commercial contracts will be required, and candidates with construction law experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience in any of the following areas would be an asset: Construction Law, Infrastructure Law, Municipal Law, Contract and Claims Management, and Procurement Law.What will I be doing?
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Works independently and with project teams to develop and manage key commercial contracts
- Provides high-quality and timely legal advice, strategic advice, research, opinions, guidance and service on matters pertaining to large complex transactions, including capital infrastructure projects, utilities issues, procurement of construction services, and contract and claims management
- Drafts and negotiates complex commercial contracts, memoranda of understanding and other legal documentation
- Accountable for matters within an assigned portfolio of legal work grouped by business unit, program or project as assigned by a senior lawyer
- Works effectively with various agencies, departments and levels of management within and external to the organization, including engineers, program managers, business and financial analysts, consultants and executives
- Directs and manages external counsel on multiple projects
- Advises and leads presentations to all levels of management, including briefings of Senior Management and Division Heads
- Understands how to prioritize tasks, push files forward and escalates issues appropriately
- Maintains an awareness of current provincial and federal legislation and regulations that may impact Metrolinx; recommends amendments to existing policies and procedures arising from relevant legislative or regulatory changes; provides advice/opinions on the interpretation of legislation
- Provides proactive and strategic legal advice to organization outside of specific legal assignments
- Assists with developing training and mentorship programs for junior lawyers and students
- Provides feedback and direction to paralegal and administrative staff
Don’t Meet Every Requirement?
- Completion of a degree in law (JD or LLB)
- Minimum five (5) years’ legal experience within the area of Corporate/Commercial law; experience in any of: Construction Law, Infrastructure Law, Contract and Claims Management, and Procurement Law, would be an asset
- Membership in the Law Society of Ontario as a Lawyer in good standing is required
- Contributing to corporate policies, standards, and procedures to minimize corporate legal risk and protect position and assets
- Ability to provide sound legal advice and suggest business-oriented solutions to complex legal issues in commercial and political contexts
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, oral/written/presentation skills to draft documentation, provide legal opinions and interpretations, and direct and manage external legal counsel effectively
If you’re excited about working with Metrolinx but your past experience doesn’t quite align with every qualification of this posting, we encourage you to apply. You just might be the right candidate for this or other roles. We are always looking for great talent to join our team.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from members of equity-deserving communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized, women, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender identities, expressions and sexual orientations.Accommodation
We value the unique skills and experiences each person brings to Metrolinx and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. We are committed to the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act so if you require accommodation during the hiring process, please let our Recruitment team know by contacting us at: 416-202-5601 or email email@example.com .Application Process
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
Metrolinx employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with Metrolinx’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Standard, made under the Metrolinx Communicable Diseases in the Workplace Policy, as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Metrolinx.We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WE ARE AN EQUITABLE AND INCLUSIVE EMPLOYER.