Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, the Legal Counsel provides expert and high-quality legal advice (in French and English) and counsel on all employment matters to the Bank with respect to business, activities and transactions, to ensure business results are met in accordance with legislative guidelines and Scotiabank's overall corporate governance. Manage civil litigation and independently conduct investigations and administrative litigation. Contributes to the overall success of the Legal Department in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the Bank and team’s business strategies and objectives.
Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Recommend and communicate high quality and valued advice and counsel on a broad range of legal matters related to employment law or the application of Bank policies and practices that affect employment issues
- Provides advice and recommends solutions at all levels of complexity by:
- (a) understanding client needs and key issues, assessing risks and providing options;
- (b) ensuring fairness and consistency in process, policy and practice;
- (c) communicating clearly and concisely the application of employment law
- Represents the Bank's interests at hearings, mediations and civil proceedings. Takes a lead role in employment and customer human rights investigations, as well as administrative hearings. Where external counsel is retained, manage counsel on behalf of the business line.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with internal business units
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Code of Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Education and Experience:
Graduate of a recognized law school
- At least 4 years private practice or in-house experience with a specialty in all areas of Employment Law
- Membership in the law society of one of the provinces of Canada
- Primarily provides domestic support with support to the Global HR team
- Provides research, legal analysis, relying on strong experience, expertise and sound judgment
- Bilingual French and English
- Located in Montreal or Toronto
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office (some days in the office required) and from home with the details to be determined based on business needs.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto || Canada : Quebec : Montreal
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.