Reporting to the VP, Compliance and Assistant General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will assist with the day-to-day management of the legal affairs of D2L and its subsidiaries in North America, Asia Pacific, and Europe. While a generalist position, the Legal Counsel will have a particular emphasis on human resources matters.
This is a significant opportunity to have real-life, hands-on experience with a rapidly growing technology company. The position is part of a collaborative, team-based approach to corporate legal services.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Advising on a range of corporate, procurement, commercial and other legal matters.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating various contracts and agreements.
- Providing legal guidance on employment law and immigration matters.
- Researching and responding to inquiries related to privacy, intellectual property and compliance matters.
- Assisting with developing and updating internal policies.
- Assisting on an as-needed basis with drafting and reviewing agreements, including partnership, non-disclosure, license (inbound and outbound) and similar agreements.
- Assisting with a variety of business expansion and transaction opportunities, including incorporation activities, and M&A.
- Advise on a range of legal matters relating to Human Resources to ensure D2L remains compliant with all laws governing the workplace
- Any other tasks as assigned from time to time
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- 3+ years of proven experience as a Legal Counsel in a business environment
- Experience advising on Canadian legal matters; experience advising on international matter is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Experience in corporate and human resources practice areas is strongly desired
- LLB or JD degree from a nationally-recognized, ABA (or similar)-accredited school
- Excellent academic credentials; journal experience preferred