At Northland, we’re enablers of change, united by our journey to transform the energy sector into the foundation for a sustainable future.
Since our inception, we’ve been early movers in the energy industry, adopting new initiatives that pave the way for communities across the globe and helping forge their path towards a carbon-neutral landscape. We’re a different kind of independent power producer. As developers, owners and operators who are at the forefront of the energy transition, we’re uniquely positioned to leave a lasting impact in the regions where we operate. We’ve expanded our business across Canada, the United States, Latin America, Europe and Asia to become a global leader, all by bringing together industry experts to find solutions with an entrepreneurial mindset.
While our work powers communities across the globe, Northland is powered by our people.
What You’ll Do:
As Legal Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary, you will provide legal support to Northland and its global subsidiaries, including with respect to corporate and securities law matters, continuous disclosure, governance best practices, support Board of Directors meetings, and other corporate, commercial and compliance matters. As part of our dynamic global team, you will also have the opportunity to further develop your skills by supporting business units on a range of transactions, including acquisitions, sell downs, formation of partnership structures, and project financings.
- Prepare the Annual Information Form and Management Information Circular, support the preparation of the Annual Report and other public disclosures.
- Support Northland’s Board of Directors meetings, including development of Board agendas, work plans, materials, resolutions, Board and Committee policies and mandates, and annual Board evaluations.
- Stay up to date and advise management and the Board on governance best practices and voting guidelines of proxy advisors and institutional investors.
- Review press releases through a securities law lens.
- Support the legal team with other corporate / securities matters and capital markets work, including equity offerings.
- Perform general corporate work, such as minutes, resolutions and preparation, implementation and monitoring of corporate policies and processes.
- Perform compliance training domestically and internationally.
- Provide legal support to corporate services groups such as Finance, HR and IT, which may include negotiating commercial agreements, such as non-disclosure, consulting, and services agreements.
Who You Are:
- Dynamic: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and can prioritize effectively.
- Independent: You are an independent thinker and naturally set your own timescales and milestones to ensure you meet your objectives.
- Results-Oriented: You are business-minded, have a proven ability to think strategically, provide creative solutions-based advice, and proactively assess risks to help Northland achieve key initiatives.
- Collaborative: You build relationships easily and enjoy working as a team while interacting with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders and counterparties.
- Diligent: You are organized, thorough and detail-oriented, allowing you to meet competing deadlines while delivering value-added advice.
- A strong communicator: You are an effective communicator with a track record of influencing decisions through clear communication and understanding of company-wide priorities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three (3) years of post-call legal experience.
- Proficiency with securities law National Instruments and their application to corporate governance and continuous disclosure.
- Experience in the energy and/or infrastructure industry is considered an asset but not required.
- Licensed to practice in Ontario, and in good standing.
This document is a guide. The duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the jobs as described herein are not inclusive and are subject to change.
Northland Power is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a fair, inclusive and accessible environment. As part of our commitment we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify a member of the HR Department.