Permanent, full-time position – Toronto, ON
If you are an experienced lawyer with an understanding of tribunal and court rules of procedure, ideally combined with knowledge of legislation governing education and school board operations, your skills and expertise are in demand at the Toronto District School Board (TDSB).
Reporting to the Executive Officer, Legal Services, you will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and represent the Board in legal proceedings, specifically, within the following areas of practice: labour and employment, occupational health and safety, and human rights law. Preferred additional areas of practice include corporate/commercial, education, and administrative law.
More specifically, as a Senior Legal Counsel, you will:
· Provide proactive and strategic legal advice and opinions to Board senior staff and departments in various areas of law;
· Represent the Board in legal proceedings, mediation, and at various tribunals, including drafting pleadings and briefs, developing litigation strategy, preparing witnesses, gathering evidence and related documentation, examining witnesses, negotiating settlements, etc.;
· Review and negotiate with internal and external parties, and draft contracts, agreements, briefs, public statements, etc.;
· Develop legal resources and deliver training and professional development sessions;
· Negotiate with external groups, lawyers, government bodies and others;
· Prepare and review Board and committee reports;
· Provide legal advice at Board meetings and committees;
· Act as a resource for other legal counsel on areas of expertise;
· Act as Legal Services representative in multi-department project teams or working groups;
· Provide leadership and contribute to department goals and initiatives to efficiently and effectively deliver legal services;
· Provide training and/or professional development to department and TDSB staff on legal
To take on the role of Senior Legal Counsel, you must have:
· A Bachelor of Laws (or Juris Doctor);
· Membership in good standing in the Law Society of Ontario;
· A minimum of four (4) years’ successful related experience;
· Firm understanding of tribunal and court rules of procedure;
· Knowledge of legislation governing education and school board operations, preferred;
· Demonstrated ability to represent the client in complex trials and hearings;
· Understanding of, and commitment to, the principles of equity, human rights, and Indigenous reconciliation;
· Proven expertise in solving new and complex problems and developing innovative strategies to achieve results;
· Ability to draft and interpret pleadings, contracts and other legal documents;
· Ability to work independently while being an effective member of a team;
· Highly effective research, communication and presentation skills; and
· Excellent organizational skills to handle multiple files, often under tight deadlines.
Salary Range: $123,735 - $148,482 per annum
This permanent position, located at 5050 Yonge Street, involves travel to schools and TDSB sites, law offices, courts, tribunals, etc., and requires the availability to work extended hours (evenings/weekends), as needed.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, by 12:00 noon, January 6, 2023, quoting competition #SCH II- 22-0336NE in the subject line, to:
Information regarding Wheelchair accessibility is available online.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
The Toronto District School Board is deeply committed to promoting Truth, Reconciliation and the rights of Indigenous peoples, Human Rights, Equity and Anti-Racism, and the elimination of Oppressive Practices, in our schools, our workplace and in the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from all individuals including those with varied lived experiences that can contribute to the diversification of the workforce at TDSB.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.