The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Legal Assistant 2
Posting No: 121838
Closing Date: December 19, 2022
Reporting to the Manager Legal Administrative Services, the Legal Assistant II is responsible for providing a broad range of coordination and administrative support services in the Legal Services Department, including preparation of legal documents and correspondence, answering telephone inquiries and performing reception and other related duties, as required.
As The Legal Assistant 2 You Will
- Prepare and assemble a wide range of complex documents, including: pleadings and other documents related to litigation and administrative hearings, contracts, indentures, funding agreements, purchase and sale agreements, leases, easement agreements, land exchange agreements, encroachment and other agreements, by-laws, caveats, withdrawal of caveats, documents related to expropriations, and other related legal documentation, with limited direction.
- Conduct electronic searches of records including those at the Manitoba Companies Office, Winnipeg Land Titles Office, Manitoba courts and the Personal Property Registry.
- Arrange for registrations in the Property Registry, Teranet and the Manitoba Courts.
- Provide administrative support to lawyers.
- Receive and respond to inquiries, referring only unusual circumstances to the solicitor.
- Gather essential information from various sources.
- Compile and maintain accurate filing and record keeping systems, including confirmation of closing dates and proper document registration, and compliance with trust conditions.
- Diarize and schedule meetings.
- Draft correspondence.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City Departments, external law firms, and members of the public who do not have legal counsel.
- Perform other related administrative support functions, consistent with the classification, as required.
Your Education And Qualifications Include
- High school graduation and successful completion of a legal assistant training program from a recognized college.
- Minimum of five (5) years recent legal assistant/secretarial experience in a law office or firm working with minimal supervision under the direction of a lawyer, in the area of real estate (with experience in land development or municipal law considered an asset).
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and to schedule and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work independently, and exercise sound judgment under varying conditions with minimal supervision.
- Verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently follow instructions.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and work with highly confidential matters discreetly and logically.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive, professional and effective working relationships with team members, employees at all levels of the organization and external contacts. .
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word (Advanced), Outlook, and Excel.
Conditions Of Employment
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant or successful candidate, at their expense.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How To Apply
, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume (Required).
- Cover letter
- Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
- Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/ . For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $1,966.23 - $2,125.50 bi-weekly, as per the Legal Assistant 2 classification within the C.P.U.E Collective Agreement.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
We value diversity in our workplace. Indigenous peoples, women, racialized peoples, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ peoples and Newcomers are encouraged to self-declare.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.