Cronos Group is an innovative global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution across five continents. Cronos Group is committed to building disruptive intellectual property by advancing cannabis research, technology and product development. With a passion to responsibly elevate the consumer experience, Cronos Group is building an iconic brand portfolio. Cronos Group’s portfolio includes PEACE NATURALS™, a global health and wellness platform, adult-use brand Spinach™, and two hemp-derived CBD brands, Lord Jones™and Happy Dance™.
Cronos Group is seeking an in-house Legal Counsel who will work within the Legal Department and report to the Director, Legal Counsel. The primary responsibility of this role is to support and provide counsel on all corporate and commercial activities, including the management of commercial contract drafting, analysis, negotiation and execution. A critical aspect of this role is the ability to work cross-functionally with other teams, including Business Units, Operations, Marketing, Sales and Procurement, as this individual will have the opportunity to manage projects and guide the cross-functional teams with both legal and strategic counsel.
The ideal candidate is highly organized, thinks strategically and creatively, adapts to changing priorities and demonstrates good communication, project management and problem-solving skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Support business operations, including product commercialization, manufacturing and distribution and R&D activities, by advising on third party relationships, and managing projects across the businesses
- Manage and facilitate all stages of the contract management process, from the negotiation and drafting of a contract to its execution
- Drafting and negotiating complex contracts, providing contract clause assessment, and contract strategy consultation
- Work closely with the Procurement and Sales teams to ensure that contracts align to the needs of the business and mitigate risk Support legal activity related to brand development matters, including arrangements with suppliers, wholesalers and other third party service providers
- Contracts and document management, including developing, maintaining and periodically updating standard forms and templates
- Work closely with other internal legal and regulatory specialists and consult with and escalate issues where necessary
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree, JD/LLB and admission to a state or provincial bar 2-3 years of experience within a law firm or in-house legal department
- Proven knowledge and experience in the negotiation, development and management of contracts
- High integrity of character and a willingness to take responsibility and ownership over work
- Solid negotiation skills, comfortable negotiating with vendors, vendors’ counsel, and internal business users on legal terms and conditions and business requirements
- Ability to use independent discretion with respect to matters of significance that are cross-functional in nature, including escalation of issues to managers where necessary
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, adept in building cross-functional relationships within a diverse and global organization Solid influencing skills with strength of character to educate and advise business leads on key legal issues, while working collaboratively as part of a team
- Dependable organizational capabilities, managing competing priorities in an ambiguous environment while remaining calm under pressure
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision and/or ongoing direction
- Practical and creative problem-solving skills, capable of demonstrating commercial awareness
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.