This position requires the relevant candidate to proactively participate with persons in all levels of the business areas to facilitate mitigation of legal risk to the Company and the implementation of business strategies for the Canadian marketplace in compliance with applicable laws, regulation and internal policies. The secondary purpose of this role is to manage all compliance matter and internal business control requirements within MBFSC, including acting as MBFSC’s Local Compliance representative.
- Provide proactive and legal advice on all matters affecting the Company. Guide managers and business leaders and ensure compliance with rules and regulations, and help resolve customer issues, including bankruptcies, privacy and consumer protection matters. This position will draft and review customer-facing policies and practices, manage litigation files and work with Legal team members to provide advice and counsel on the operational impact of customer-focused legislation.
- Conduct relevant research, draft and negotiate agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company's legal rights are protected. Strong attention to detail. Analysis and summary of legal documents and all other legal matters. Ability to analyze situations and information to apply legal principles to generate appropriate business recommendations.
- Perform corporate secretarial functions. Obtain, review and manage all corporate registrations and licenses for Canadian entities, maintain all business licenses, manage Motor Vehicle Accident litigation, working with external vendors to manage legal risk from such litigation, and complete other duties or projects as assigned.
- Communicate and work effectively through all levels of the organization to provide clarification and education on legal language with the ability to multi-task and be comfortable dealing with a diverse pool of people. Provide legal and/or compliance training to employees on various legal topics. Become SME in relation to legal tools, processes and technology. Work with members of Legal team on communication and negotiation with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authorities etc), creating relationships of trust.
- Identification of potential suspicious activities and corresponding report – if required by local laws– to local authorities in due time and required format. In addition filing an internal report or notice to the Centre of Competence AML (Suspicious Activity Report SAR/ Suspicious Activity Notice SAN in case there is no local legal reporting requirement to authorities).
- Initiate activities that increase the level of policy awareness within MBFS such that non-compliance and legal risks are minimized while business processes remain at or above current efficiency levels. This includes assisting departments with implementing controls to close policy and regulatory gaps. Facilitate records management activities in MBFS Canada through close collaboration with MBFS USA Records Manager.
Education and Experience: *
- Law degree (Passed and in good standing with the Provincial Bar)
- 3+ years of experience working in a similar role is preferred.
- 0 - 2 years experience as a lawyer; at minimum, experience as articling student at corporate/commercial law firm, in-house setting. Experience working in captive finance entity considered an asset.
Areas of Knowledge:
- Verbal and written communication skills in English and French would be an asset.
- Proficient records management expertise
- Strong analytical, problem solving, analysis, decision-making and PC skills.
- Customer Orientation
- Teamwork and building relationships
- Ability to manage and set priorities
Job requires flexible hours; some evening/weekend work, occasional travel.
Commitment to Equity:
Mercedes-Benz Financial Services is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and customers feel valued, respected, and supported.
We offer customer and employee‐focused culture in a fast paced, competitive, yet team oriented environment.
Posting closing date: September 23, 2022
Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Canada Corporation is an Employer committed to the principles of equity in employment. We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Don’t forget to check out our company profile on Great Place to Work; we are listed as the 38th best place to work in Canada for 2020.
Please visit our LinkedIn page for more information on our company at Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Canada Corporation.