What We'll Bring
Protecting the health and wellness of our associates and candidates considering a career at TransUnion is our highest priority. In supporting this vision, our recruitment and new hire experience for this role is fully virtual for the time being. Candidates interviewing will get to know our team over the phone and video, and this role will operate virtually upon hire until we return to the office. Even though we’re not physically together right now, our goal is to provide you a supportive candidate and new hire experience that will immerse you in our culture and set you up for success at TransUnion.
At TransUnion, we are dedicated to finding ways information can be used to help people make better and smarter decisions. As a trusted provider of global information solutions, our mission is to help people around the world access the opportunities that lead to a higher quality of life, by helping organizations optimize their risk-based decisions and enabling consumers to understand and manage their personal information. Because when people have access to more complete and multidimensional information, they can make more informed decisions and achieve great things.
Every day TransUnion offers our employees the tools and resources they need to find ways information can be used in diverse ways. Whether it is helping businesses better manage risk, providing better insights so a consumer can qualify for his first mortgage or working with law enforcement to make neighborhoods safer, we are improving the quality of life for individuals, families, communities and local economies around the world.What You'll Bring
- Bachelor of Common Law
- 7+ years of experience as a lawyer. Must be a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Knowledge and understanding of the following areas of law are recommended: Consumer reporting legislation, PIPEDA and other privacy legislations, strong negotiation skills, contract law and general corporate commercial knowledge.
- Ability to work in a team environment and with peers and management on all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational and advocacy skills. English written skills and an ability to draft clear and concise documents.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple, complex, and often conflicting and quickly changing priorities.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills are required to successfully manage and complete assignments and coordinate internal and external resources effectively.
- Technologically adept and proficiency with the tools of the profession.
- Strong negotiation, and analytical skills (i.e., logical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making).
- Proficiency in French preferred.
This position can be performed remotely but requires some travel.Impact You'll Make
With limited guidance, provides legal services to TransUnion Canada ensuring that business practices, policies and dealings of the corporation meet regulatory requirements and that its operations are within the scope established by law, inclusive of PIPEDA and consumer reporting legislation. The incumbent provides counseling to management regarding changes to the law, interprets and/or prepares legal documents and renders opinions regarding issues faced by TransUnion and its new or existing subsidiaries. The incumbent must have a broad-based knowledge of business-at-large and must rapidly learn the issues they face in order to legally protect the company. Responsible for foreseeing and protecting the company against legal risks and compliance with corporate policies.
Accommodation is available, including for applicants with disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Provides counsel, legal support and direction to company on a variety of complex legal matters and matters having a potential significant impact on the company’s business and operations.
- Acts as counsel to company in all contractual matters requiring legal review and assistance, and provides liaison with senior management when appropriate.
- Provides prompt and practical advice to senior management on complex contractual matters involving the transfer of personal information and/or technology.
- Reviews and drafts complex commercial contracts, certificates and related documents and represents the company in contract negotiations.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of current legislative developments, particularly with such developments that may have an impact upon company operations.
- Works with the other departments on commercial matters, corporate risk analysis and other matters as appropriate.
- Provides formal and informal training for internal clients (sales meeting presentations, operations, one-on-one discussions).
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with members of the legal team, internal and external clients and management
- Ensures Assistant General Counsel is fully briefed on major issues that arise in relevant business area and major legislative, business, contractual or operational issues that may arise.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, TransUnion has several safety protocols in place to protect associates, customers, and visitors. You may be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and/or to participate in certain work-related activities. Exemption is available to qualified candidates as a reasonable accommodation.
TransUnion's Internal Job Title
Sr Advisor, Legal Counsel