The Corporation of the City of Orillia has an opening for the full-time position of Administrative Support – Law Clerk in the Corporate Services Department.
- Assist with real estate transactions, including the preparation of lease documents, licenses of occupation and easements.
- Manage, conduct research, create documents and draft reports to assist the Manager of Legal and Real Estate.
- Research and draft reports on land matters.
- Respond to the public and internal inquiries regarding City owed land.
- Assist in administering municipal property use agreements.
- Develop content and update the City’s website pertaining to real estate matters.
- Organize and manage Orillia’s real property portfolio.
- College diploma in the field of Paralegal or Law Clerk.
- At least one year of related experience in a similar role in the public or private sector.
- Thorough knowledge of real estate principles including real estate law, agreements of purchase and sale, commercial/ residential tenancies, and applicable legislation, appraisal, surveying and land use planning.
- Knowledge of expropriation law and civil litigation procedure considered an asset.
- Ability to read and understand provincial legislation.
- Working knowledge of legal real estate documents such as transfers, mortgages, easements, leases, etc.
- Working knowledge of land registry systems an asset.
- Excellent public relation skills with proven ability to build effective working relationships.
- Strong computer skills using MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, email and the internet. Experience using web content management software and social media in a professional context, including Facebook, Twitter and Hootsuite.
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents, plans, engineering drawings, technical reports, and real estate literature.
- Ability to compose technical, analytical reports, business cases, property agreements, correspondence, leases, and other documents.
- Ability to appropriately prioritize, follow-up, and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence in good standing with access to a reliable vehicle.
- An acceptable Criminal Record Check is required for this position at the incumbent’s expense prior to the commencement date.
Compensation for this position is $23.78 to $28.37 for 35 hours per week, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Applications will be accepted until August 15, 2022 at noon.
Applications will only be accepted by applying online. Please visit https://careers.orillia.ca/
We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5 or call 705-325-1311.