At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
By living our Purpose, we will make an impact that matters.
Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to lead, draft and negotiate complex commercial transactions for Deloitte’s Office of the General Counsel (OGC)? Are you looking to make an impact at a leading global professional services firm? Then we’re looking for talent like you to join the OGC!
What will your typical day look like?
As Commercial Legal Counsel you will serve as a subject matter expert for commercial engagements, leading, structuring, drafting and negotiating complex client transactions, and providing business clients with advice on high impact and complex commercial transactions on behalf of the Office of the General Counsel. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Lead, structure, draft and negotiate complex-client transactions in a fast-paced corporate environment including, master services agreements, statements of work, service level agreements, professional services agreements, master subscription agreements, license agreements, managed services agreements and requests for proposals.
- Provide advice on legal risks associated with transactions and offer creative solutions to mitigate risks.
- Negotiate and provide business clients with strategic and tactical advice on high impact and complex commercial transactions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for commercial engagements, requests for proposals (RFPs), including Federal, Provincial, Territory and Local government contract solicitations.
- Coordinate cross-border legal advice by developing an excellent working relationship with global partners.
- Work collaboratively with the business and corporate clients to deliver the highest quality of service.
- Build and maintain superior relationships with internal and external business and corporate partners.
- Contribute to high priority legal department initiatives, including knowledge management and workflow improvement.
About the team
The Office of the General Counsel is a national, high performing group of professionals providing legal advice to the Deloitte Canada firm and our business leaders. They advise on corporate, commercial, regulatory, risk, employment, and litigation matters. Our work is rewarding, and we see the impact of the services we provide to our clients.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you
You are someone who has/is:
- A law degree.
- Been called to a provincial bar in Canada.
- 6+ years combined experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Experience negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements (e.g., technology agreements, professional services agreements, etc.)
- Procurement experience, in particular in the public sector (asset).
- A highly responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines
- Interest in working in an innovative and transformative environment.
- Collaborative and able to maintain strong working relationships with internal clients.
- Business minded with sound and practical business judgement.
- Strong work ethic, analytical, communication and drafting skills.
Our shared values
While our Purpose guides us and helps explain why we exist, our shared values describe the behaviour we expect from each other at the firm.
They provide common ground to unite us across cultures and geographies. They help us to earn the trust and respect of our stakeholders. We all commit to living by these shared values, to stay true to the principles they represent, and to honour the legacy from which they came. They are what sets us apart and makes us Deloitte.
Every day, we live our Purpose through the following five shared values:
- Lead the way: Deloitte is not only leading the profession, but reinventing it for the future. We’re also committed to creating opportunity and leading the way to a more sustainable world.
- Serve with integrity: Deloitte has earned the trust of employees, clients, regulators, and the public for 175 years. Upholding that trust is our single most important responsibility.
- Take care of each other: We look out for one another and prioritize respect, fairness, development, and well-being.
- Foster inclusion: We are at our best when we foster an inclusive culture and embrace diversity in all forms. We know this attracts top talent, enables innovation, and helps us deliver well-rounded client solutions.
- Collaborate for measurable impact: We approach our work with a collaborative mind¬set, teaming across businesses, geographies, and skill sets to deliver tangible, measurable, attributable impact.