About this team:
The Legal Department serves our collective by providing balanced legal and strategic advice. We educate and collaborate in a fun and unique way, offering creative solutions to secure the future of our organization. The "Employment" sub-function of the Legal Department provides strategic legal advice and works cross functionally with many departments of the organization on matters relating to our employees and guests globally.
Associate Employment Counsel will report to the Senior Director, Associate General Counsel. The scope/responsibilities of that position are: to lead the Global Employment, Employment Litigation, Employment Compliance and Guest Resolution program/teams strategy, structure and metrics. Provide Legal and strategic advice to various internal cross-functional partners; manage Employment agreements and other employment related contracts
A day in the life:
Associate Employment Counsel will help address legal issues across a broad spectrum of legal risk and employment related matters. This opportunity requires general legal practitioner skills, including research, drafting, and counseling, practiced in a corporate setting where developing rapport with fellow employees is essential. Associate Employment Counsel will assist the Employment Legal Team to provide counsel to and work closely with Human Resources (or what we call “People & Culture”) on a broad range of Global employment matters, including recruiting, hiring, benefits, compensation, employee relations, discipline, terminations, investigations, harassment, discrimination, wage and hour compliance, and strategies for managing risk around employment matters. This role will conduct legal research and provide responses to the Employment Legal Team and others on the Legal Team.
- Review and monitor law developments, advise business partners as necessary and address potential impact and risk to the company.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to business partners on appropriate current and pending legislation.
- Help counsel the business with respect to applicable legal matters.
- Help maintain company-wide guidelines and practices on applicable legal matters.
- Explain complex information to others in straightforward situations.
- Assist with the design of contracts, policies and best practices in collaboration with other Employment Legal team members.
- Support the global employment legal team to develop and implement best practices and policies.
- Support and collaborate with the Global Employment Legal Team on broad employment related matters.
- Work with all members of the legal team across global office locations, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Partner with company stakeholders to gather information and approvals necessary for employment legal matters.
- Field and respond to inquiries from a variety of our teams regarding legal processes.
- J.D. or Bachelor’s degree in law from an accredited institution
- Admission into the bar of practice, or the ability to register as in-house counsel
- 0 - 3 years of employment legal experience as a practicing attorney (prior in-house experience preferred).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Has the ability to prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in an entrepreneurial, rapidly scaling and changing environment.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to execute requested assignments and as part of a team, and excellent organizational skills.
- Good judgment with an understanding of when to ask for guidance or input.
- Excellent analytical, written, verbal, research, and communication skills.
- Develop an understanding of the difference between remote and real risks.
- Some employment litigation or general litigation experience is an asset
- Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
- Communicates with honesty and kindness and creates the space for others to do the same.
- Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take themselves too seriously.