IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it’s not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky – people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you’d expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That’s why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits – to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world’s leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they’ve only dreamed of.
Come explore IMAX – where innovation, creativity and passion come together.
The Director, Legal Affairs & Business Development will be an experienced attorney, who will advise internal constituencies on the Company’s legal rights and obligations across a wide spectrum of issues. This role will be primarily focused on supporting the IMAX’s new business development activities and the Company’s worldwide theatre network business. This role will be located in the Company’s Mississauga office.
What you’ll be doing:
Working with senior IMAX executives on a variety of initiatives as it relates to the support and growth of the IMAX network and IMAX 3.0 strategy, the Director of Legal Affairs & Business Development will be a member of an internal team focused on expanding and diversifying the Company’s core business to acquire new customers and sell additional products or services.
IMAX Business Development
- Working with business development team to:
- Advise on and manage legal risk associated with new business activities
- Draft and negotiate complex agreements involving the development, financing, rights acquisition agreements and licenses for new business developments.
Theatre Network Development
- Provide legal advice and counsel to IMAX Theaters concerning the Company’s worldwide network, including:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating new commercial agreements from the point of contract request to signature.
- Coordinating between clients and internal stakeholders such as sales, corporate development, finance, tax, marketing, projects team and logistics, to address issues that arise in the contract negotiation process.
- Addressing issues related to existing theatre contracts as part of the contract lifecycle and drafting and negotiating amending agreements accordingly.
- Provide legal advice related to theatre sales contracts, to ensure conformity with regulatory and corporate requirements and assisting with resolution of contractual disputes.
- Assist IMAX Theaters with developing regional sales and geographical strategies, ensuring conformity with regulatory requirements.
General Legal Matters
- Provide counsel to a wide range of internal clients, including consulting agreements, supply and development agreements and information technology agreements
- Litigation management, including oversight of outside counsel, assisting in drafting briefs, motions and court materials, managing discovery and all other litigation activities
- From time-to-time, involvement in ad hoc regulatory and/or other special projects as assigned.
What we’re looking for:
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- 6+ years of corporate and commercial experience, preferably in both a law firm environment and in-house corporate counsel role.
- Ability to multi-task and work on a wide range of legal matters with an international dimension, including commercial transactions, using sound judgement.
- High-level accountability, drive and initiative to take on work, with minimal oversight.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a challenging, fast-paced environment, where multiple key stakeholders are managed.
- Expert understanding of various commercial deal structures and experience applying them within a multinational organization with international counterparties
- Experience analyzing, negotiating and drafting contracts, including those with an international counterparties
- Can-do attitude with enthusiasm for the work and excellent interpersonal skills
- Good judgment and strong critical thinking
- Ability to pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-driven
- Knowledge of and interest in the evolving international media and technology preferred
The ideal candidate will have:
- A can do, team player attitude with exceptional attention to detail having worked in a fast-paced environment where multiple stakeholders were managed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively manage both upwards and with peers
- Ability to use discretion and maintain strict confidentiality.
- High sense of urgency and excellent organizational skills to manage multiple tasks from multiple sources and meet required deadlines.
- Commitment to professionalism, integrity, collegiality and the ability to build productive relationships.
- Must be independent, self-directed, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities.
Our Commitment To You
Our Commitment to you:
At IMAX you'll be part of a culture built on respect - one that recognizes the unique talents of everyone on the team. We're proud of the differences that make us all unique and we support unity, acceptance, and equal rights for all. Diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a global company.
If you feel you can make a contribution to our growth and success, and you have most of the qualifications we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. While we can’t make any guarantees, we will review your submission in full. Express your interest here. We thank all applicants for their interest in IMAX but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Before you start with IMAX, all employment is subject to background and reference checks. Additionally, our Canadian employees are subject to our mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy.
IMAX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.