8 PROLOGIS BOULEVARD UNIT 402 MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO L5W 0G9
ONroute is the proud operator of 23 convenient plazas located along Highways 400 and 401 in Ontario. Our locations are designed to provide travellers with fresh and exciting food and beverage options, gas, and other amenities that improve the public’s travel experience. Each of our locations feature family-favourite restaurant brands, a convenient 24/7 market, free Wifi, and great customer service.
About the Role
The Director, Legal acts as the counsel to the ONroute Group of companies and business and works closely with the CEO, Board, senior management and other ONroute personnel to provide leadership in all matters with legal implications. The Director, Legal is responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with all internal and external partners and stakeholders and overseeing the legal function at ONroute and supervising the other member of the ONroute legal team.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Works collaboratively with the other members of the Leadership team to develop overall corporate strategy and leads the corporate legal function to promote and protect ONroute’s interests.
- Provides expert and strategic advice to ONroute on a wide range of legal issues impacting the business, including:
- Negotiating agreements to achieve desired outcomes while minimizing legal exposure;
- Interpreting existing agreements and providing ONroute with practical guidance in respect of the issues raised in connection with such agreements;
- Ensuring compliance with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements, including monitoring and assessing any developments and their impact on ONroute’s business;
- Providing advice in respect of any existing or threatened litigation involving ONroute and identifying proactive solutions to manage potential exposure;
- Reviewing employment agreements prepared by human resources and providing advice in respect of employment-related issues arising from ONroute’s operations; and
- Participating in the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs.
- Manages ongoing corporate governance and subsidiary maintenance requirements related to ONroute and its legal structure.
- Supervises other members of the ONroute legal team.
- Retains, instructs and oversees external legal counsel where appropriate and manages the associated costs tightly.
- Compliance by the business with all legislative and regulatory requirements with particular emphasis on safety and security.
- Ensures the service centres comply with the provisions of the ONoute’s long-term concession agreement with the Province of Ontario.
- Provides leadership, coaching and development to the Legal team.
- Manages performance and ensures individual objectives are aligned with ONroute business objectives.
Qualifications & Experience
- Current member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Legal Counsel with ~7 years of corporate law experience with a broad practice/experience in other critical areas for ONroute’s business (e.g. employment).
- Experience working in-house is considered an asset.
- Experience in the retail, franchised businesses and/or foodservices industry is considered an asset.
- Ability to recognize and resolve complex legal issues in a practical manner.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary team and succinctly and effectively communicate legal issues to members of the team.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking with ability to constructively manage difficult conversations and effectively address and resolve issues both internally and externally.
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple matters in a dynamic environment
- Well-organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Fluency in English (reading, writing, and verbal).
ONroute is an equal opportunity employer. Please let us know if you require any individual accommodation as part of the recruitment process.