At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We’re the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we’re more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it’s our talented people who lead us on this journey.
The Assistant Corporate Secretary assists the VP, Associate General Counsel and Corporate Secretary in ensuring that Magna’s public company requirements are met.
Advising on matters of securities law, public company compliance and developments in corporate governance
- Drafting, reviewing and assisting with periodic and other public disclosures (proxy circular, AIF, quarterly/annual MD&A, press releases, etc.)
- Supporting the Corporate Secretary and Magna’s Board of Directors on administrative matters (developing meeting agendas and work plans; attending meetings and drafting minutes; etc.)
- Monitoring and advising on developments in executive compensation
- Drafting and updating corporate governance-related policies
- Overseeing drafting of executive employment contracts, equity compensation award agreements
- General support with subsidiary governance, including overseeing documentation for internal reorganizations and capital actions
- General corporate/commercial legal support, as needed
- Other duties as required
Knowledge and Education
Undergraduate university degree
- Law degree from a Canadian law school
Minimum 5 years of applicable experience as a Corporate Secretary or Assistant Corporate Secretary in a sophisticated in-house legal department preferred
- Top-tier law firm experience in securities law, corporate governance and corporate law will also be considered
Skills and Competencies
Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to draft complex disclosure documents in simple terms
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Effective time management and ability to prioritize
- Patience, diplomacy, tact
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Familiarity with corporate and securities laws, corporate governance regulation
- Demonstrated ability to work and adapt in a cross-disciplinary, team based environment
- A high level of passion, self-awareness and integrity
- Strong sense of professionalism, discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive matters
Standard work environment
- No travel
This role offers advancement opportunities.
Remote work / work from home available up to a max. of two days per week, subject to the terms of Magna’s Remote Work Program.
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.