Fraser Health is responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.9 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish and Nlaka’pamux Nations. Our team of nearly 40,000 staff, medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
- Effective October 26th, all new hires to Fraser Health will need to have full COVID 19 vaccination (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and individual medical exemptions must be approved by the Provincial Health Officer.
The Junior Legal Counsel (Contracts) provides a range of legal services to internal clients with the goal of minimizing legal risk and financial exposure in respect of Fraser Health (FH) contract management. Provides in-house legal support and consultation on all aspects of contracts, including contractual terms, dispute resolution, privacy issues, risk management, and associated policy issues.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide strategic legal support and advice across the organization, including members of the Executive Team as appropriate, on a vast array of legal issues arising from or relating to contracts.
- Negotiate, draft, review and interpret a variety of contracts relating to health care and business operations, including with respect to multi-party, complex transactions including external third parties.
- Conduct legal research, identify legal issues and risks, formulate and recommend legal strategies and solutions, draft legal opinions and advise on a comprehensive range of matters relating to contracts.
- Accountable for presenting legal arguments and representing Fraser Health in contract negotiations with third parties at hearings, arbitrations, court and tribunals (when required) and in collaboration with the Senior Legal Counsel.
- Lead and/or facilitate pre-litigation negotiation and settlement of claims or other contractual disputes by or against the health authority.
- Develop and deliver to Fraser Health personnel, including all levels of management, educational programs and materials addressing a variety of legal and contractual issues.
- Instruct external counsel retained to provide specialized legal services, when required.
Your qualifications include:
- Bachelor Degree and a Degree in Law (LL.B or J.D.) from an accredited University and a license to practice law in British Columbia.
- Minimum Five (5) years recent, related in-house and/or private practice experience in one or more of corporate law, commercial litigation, health law and/or privacy/freedom of information, or a combination of recent, related experience in one or more of these areas.
- Current member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Be part of a team committed to excellence in service and care!
Find out what it’s like to work here. Like us on Facebook (@fraserhealthcareers), follow us on Twitter & Instagram (@FHCareer), or connect with us on LinkedIn (fraserhealthcareers) for first-hand employee insights!