Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Office is seeking a Director, Legal Services, who under the general direction of the Chief Legal Officer or a designate, will assist with professional legal work and provide legal advice and opinions on a diverse range of corporate matters.
Ideal candidates will have litigation experience, gained from a major firm, corporation or government agency. Experience in any of the following areas would be an asset: Contract and Claims Management, Construction Law, Infrastructure Law, Insurance Law and Indigenous Legal Issues.
What will I be doing?
What skills and qualifications do I need?
- Acts as Metrolinx’s legal lead (“Lead Legal Expert”) on litigation and other forms of dispute resolution and on claims management in the context of construction projects
- Oversees litigation and emerging claims from a legal perspective as they relate to construction projects
- Drafts and reviews complex litigation documents, such as pleadings and settlement agreements
- Provides high-quality and timely legal advice, strategic advice, research, opinions, guidance and service on matters pertaining to disputes on large complex transactions, including capital projects such as linear infrastructure projects, utilities issues, procurement and contract and claims management
- Accountable for matters within an assigned portfolio of legal work grouped by business unit, program or project as assigned by a senior lawyer
- Represents Metrolinx in legal proceedings and court appearances as may be required
- Directs Metrolinx’s external counsel on litigation and other legal matters and makes recommendations to the Chief Legal Officer
- As Lead Legal Expert, provides feedback to other lawyers in the area, keeps abreast of relevant legal developments, and pro-actively communicates related legal developments to affected internal clients
- Oversees legal research on a diverse range of complex legal matters
- Provides legal advice and opinions on a diverse range of disputes and other matters
- Leads significant day-to-day legal disputes and other initiatives; reports major developments to the Chief Legal Officer, Chief Executive Officer and/or Board of Directors as may be required
- Leads legal presentations to management, including presentations to the Senior Management Team
- Advises all levels of management and senior ministry representatives, including briefings of senior management and ministry representatives up to and including Chief Executive Officer and the Deputy Minister, and the Minister at the Ministry of Transportation
- Briefs policy and legal staff at the Ministry of Transportation
- Attends and participates as a member of the department’s Legal Services Management Team
- Maintains an awareness of current provincial and federal legislation and regulations that may affect Metrolinx; recommends amendments to existing policies and procedures arising from relevant legislative or regulatory changes; provides advice/opinions on the interpretation of legislation
- Contributes to enhancing corporate policies and procedures and provides opinions and advice to the corporation
- Provides pro-active legal advice to organization outside of specific legal assignments
- Advises and prepares legal documents that comply with the law and do not expose Metrolinx to risk and/or financial loss
- Assists in developing programs for junior lawyers and, at the request of the Chief Legal Officer, mentors junior lawyers, particularly as Lead Legal Expert in matters under purview
- Commits to ongoing leadership development through participation in organization’s leadership programs
- Law Degree and membership in good standing, as a Lawyer, in the Law Society of Ontario is required
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience as a lawyer, gained at a reputable law firm and/or in-house legal group, preferably at other provincial agencies or for the Province of Ontario
- Ability to identify and resolve legal issues
- Ability to work well as a full and valuable member of an integrated business-legal team
- Ability to think strategically
- Comfortable with working independently, as well as, good understanding and judgment of situations which require approval or input of the Chief Legal Officer and other senior management
- Ability to function well under pressure and demonstrate leadership in legal department
- Strong service ethic
- Ability to translate legal concepts into readily understandable advice
- Sound judgment and practical approach to resolving legal issues
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, and oral/written communication skills
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER