Bennett Jones LLP is a top tier, full service international law firm with offices in Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, and New York. We are proud that Bennett Jones was ranked as a Platinum Level Best Employer in the 2020 "Best Employers in Canada" survey conducted by Kincentric. The firm has also been recognized for 2020 as one of "Alberta's Top 75 Employers" and as a Top Employer for Young People in a study conducted by Mediacorp. The firm has been ranked as one of the top places to work in Canada for 18 consecutive years.
We are currently recruiting for the following role in our Toronto office:
Legal Assistant, Trade
- Assist with the preparation and/or assembly of litigation, tribunal and court documents including electronic filings
- Assist with the preparation and/or assembly of information response filings for administrative audits and investigations
- Prepare protected and public versions of confidential documents for tribunal filings, including redactions of confidential information
- Edit and manipulate documents in Adobe
- Convert documents in Microsoft Word and Excel into Adobe
- Coordinate with process servers regarding service and filing of court materials
- Coordinate with tribunal and court offices regarding hearing and motions bookings and related court material filings
- Draft and revise correspondence and other documents according to precedents and/or instructions including memos, letters, emails, reports, presentations, court forms and court documents
- Apply proofreading and editing skills to all work products ensuring accuracy and completeness while checking for appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar
- Act as a liaison between the lawyers and various internal and external individuals on file progression and other items
- Assist in the administrative management of the lawyers’ and other legal professionals practices including opening & closing files, arranging meetings, scheduling, arranging travel and/or other accommodations
- Organize and maintain an up-to-date (electronic and/or paper) file system of client files
- Provide administrative support with docket entries, the coordination of billings, processing expenses and payment of invoices following to the firm’s accounting policies and standards
- Work collaboratively and provide backup and overflow assistance to other lawyers, law clerks and legal assistants with heavy workloads and in the absence of others, when needed
- Exercise judgment, be resourceful and work independently to solve administrative issues
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-Secondary education in legal administration or equivalent
- Proficiency in the MS Office environment, Adobe Pro, Excel and other legal-specific technologies
- Experience with and knowledge of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, Federal Courts, the Rules of Civil Procedure, and court practices and procedures are considered assets
- Understanding of metadata preferred
- Experience with Aderant (or other legal-specific billing technology) and an understanding of a billing lifecycle, processing expenses and payment of invoices are considered assets
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, and able to manage multiple tasks
- Impeccable proofreading, grammar skills and attention to detail
- Maintains professionalism, confidentiality and operates with discretion
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to effectively interact with clients and all firm members
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and meeting deadlines
Bennett Jones Services Limited Partnership
3400 One First Canadian Place
P.O. Box 130
Toronto, ON M5X 1A4
All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of a Canadian criminal record check. Determination of the factors that constitute satisfactory verification is within the sole discretion of Bennett Jones.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Bennett Jones is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Bennett Jones is committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our Firm members. Effective October 1, 2021 Bennett Jones will require all Firm members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in accordance with public health guidance, prior to entering the workplace, attending a firm sponsored event, attending at a client's workplace or travelling on Firm business. Bennett Jones welcomes applications from all applicants, including applicant who may requires a specific accommodation because of a disability or another protected ground. Any applicants requiring accommodation during the application process should contact name, title at e-mail address or telephone number.