We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
To learn more about FCIB, please visit http://www.cibcfcib.com/
What You’ll Be Doing
As the Senior Counsel, Head of Contracts, you will provide legal advice and support to various client groups within the FirstCaribbean International Bank, and represent the Legal department on a variety of matters, while specializing in providing sophisticated advice on a broad range of third-party risk management activities, contractual arrangements/contracts, outsourcing and corporate law matters for the Bank, with no precedent.
You will assist the General Counsel in leading a team of legal professionals, who are accountable for providing a wide range of legal services and advice to business and functional leaders across the organization. You will proactively work with employees at all levels in designated lines of business and functional areas to mitigate potential legal risks, provide legal advice to executives and senior leaders on complex and sensitive issues, and will be responsible for drafting and reviewing Bank wide legal documentation of varying complexity.
How You’ll Succeed
- Leadership – Manage a team of legal professionals responsible for providing a range of legal services and advice to business and functional leaders across the organization, including, but not limited to Third-party risk management, Non-disclosure agreements, Outsourcing arrangements, licenses, cloud and SAAS agreements.
- Knowledge - Keep appraised of developments in legislation and case law, bringing such developments to the attention of the General Counsel. Oversee the identification and assessment of any impact such developments may have on designated lines of business and/or the organization. Provide proactive, responsive and innovative legal advice on complex and sensitive issues to designated lines of business to mitigate potential legal risks
- Oversight - Identify systemic issues that may have significant business line / organization implications and prepare practical recommendations to assist the designated lines of business and/or organization in addressing the identified issues. Oversee research on complex legal issues, prepare opinions and discuss these opinions with the General Counsel prior to presentation to the designated lines of business.
- Consultation - Provides legal advice to executives and senior leaders on complex or sensitive issues and is responsible for drafting and reviewing Bank wide legal documentation of wide-ranging complexity. Assist the General Counsel in reviewing policies, procedures and other mandates, to ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements, mitigating reputational risk, and reducing exposure to legal liability.
- Project Ownership - Take a leadership role in various projects relating to product and service development by providing legal and regulatory advice, identifying potential legal risks, and developing and proposing risk mitigation strategies. Manage projects and take personal accountability for assignments delegated to others by proactively monitoring their progress and work product and ensuring that they provide uniformly high quality legal services. Keep the General Counsel apprised in material developments of key projects, proposes and present solutions directly to the designated lines of business for any material issues that may pose a potential legal risk to the business and/or organization.
Who You Are
- You can demonstrate experience in the legal, corporate secretarial, corporate governance and regulatory environment. You have 10-15 years’ legal experience gained at a financial institution or law firm with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in advising on, negotiating and drafting a variety of commercial agreements for the financial services industry. This includes agreements between the Bank and retail, corporate and wealth clients; outsourcing and technology agreements with service providers, suppliers and licensors including agreements for the core banking system, cloud-based solutions and payment platforms; and agreements with VISA and MasterCard, payment processors and other players in the payments ecosystem.
- You’re a certified professional . You have a Bachelor of Laws or equivalent and have been called to the Bar in an applicable country, and are a member in good standing.
- You are a bold and accountable leader. You have experience developing and implementing strategic team goals. You have experience coaching employees and driving successful team performance.
- You're driven by collective success. You know that collaboration can transform a good idea into a great one. You understand the power of an inclusive team that enjoys working together to bring a shared vision to life.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What FCIB Offers
At FCIB, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
- If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow the link below to apply for the role directly.
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit