Cox & Palmer is a full-service, top-ranked Atlantic Canadian law firm with the knowledge and experience clients rely upon for solid legal solutions. The firm prides itself on a collegial work atmosphere and supportive team environment. We hire self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to join our St. John's team who will provide legal administrative support to our lawyers.
Working as part of a collaborative team, your primary responsibilities include:
- Overseeing all aspects of the administrative side of the lawyers' practice;
- Preparing, reviewing and editing a wide range of legal documents and correspondence of a confidential nature, and ensuring high quality, accuracy and comprehensiveness;
- Managing documents including creating and maintaining a filing system; opening and closing files in a timely fashion;
- Performing conflict searches, external searches, and processing client intake forms;
- Managing all incoming and outgoing mail, e-mail, faxes and phone calls in a confidential, organized and efficient manner;
- Establishing and maintaining a current calendar of events and a deadline reminder system as well as reviewing court diary systems;
- Preparing initial statements of account and lawyer expense claims and submitting documentation for third party electronic billing systems;
- Preparing and maintaining client records and assisting in management of key clients; and
- Other related administrative duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Successful completion of an Office Administration program with a focus of Legal Assistant or Paralegal;
- 3 - 5 years' experience working as a Legal Assistant. Previous experience in Real Estate, Corporate Commercial, Litigation and/or Labour and Employment considered an asset; and
- Strong organizational skills, understanding of the importance of client relationships, willing to take initiative, and ability to work independently and as a team in a fast-paced environment.
Cox & Palmer provides a competitive compensation and benefits package including health, dental, life and disability insurance, and a group RRSP program.
Qualified candidates who are interested in this position should send a covering letter and resume by June 25, 2021 to: Mark McGrath, Human Resources Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Cox & Palmer is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is a member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network and Pride at Work Canada.