MPI’s Legal Services Department has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Legal Counsel to join our team. The successful applicant will have significant experience practicing corporate/commercial law.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts, Information Technology licences, change requests, sponsorship agreements, leases and memoranda of understanding.
- Draft and review procurement documents including but not limited to request for proposal, requests for tender, requests for quotations, requests for information and requests for standing offers.
- Structure complex transactions for the purchase and implementation of goods and services.
- Review construction, architectural and engineering agreements related to construction projects on Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) premises.
- Provide legal advice, opinions and presentations in the area of corporate commercial law, information and technology, intellectual property, debtor and creditor matters, taxation, labour and employment law, human rights, competition law and privacy matters.
- A Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree from a recognized Canadian (or equivalent) law school.
- Call to the Manitoba Bar.
- Several years progressive experience in the practice of law.
- Leadership experience is an asset.
- A wide range of experience in corporate-commercial law, including to but not limited to drafting, reviewing and analyzing agreements.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead and mentor staff.
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints, and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Advanced analytical skills with demonstrated ability to interpret and synthesize complex information.
- Ability to effectively and critically assess different scenarios and determine possible courses of action, demonstrating clear understanding of corporate directives relating to business ethics, applicable legislation, and records management and handling.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service while maintaining a professional balance between public or inquirer and organization needs.
- Fluency in French (would be an asset, but is not required).