Metamaterial Inc. ( META) is a smart materials and photonics company that specializes in nanofabrication, design, and manufacturing of highly-functional products that harness the power of light. Through applied physics and advanced design, we are pioneering a new class of multi-functional materials called metamaterials, which have engineered properties that go beyond what is found in nature. META is headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia and has offices in London, England and Pleasanton, California.
About the role
We offer an exciting opportunity to join our head office team, located in Dartmouth, NS, as a Legal Administrative Assistant. This full-time, permanent position will support all departments of the company by overseeing front desk reception and working closely with management to ensure company documents and procedures are legally compliant, properly executed, monitored, and maintained.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Overseeing facility access, including building security;
- Answering phone and greeting visitors, directing enquiries as appropriate;
- Setup and maintenance of filing systems, both physical and digital;
- Receiving, sorting, and disseminating day-to-day regular post, including scanning of invoices, statements, agreements, and contracts;
- Providing backup and support to logistics with packages outside of day-to-day post;
- Scheduling of meeting rooms;
- Document management, including copying, scanning, and binding of reports, presentations, and agreements;
- Receiving and reviewing corporate documents, including contracts and other agreements, as well as service & supply and risk management (insurance policies);
- Policies & Procedures development and continuity;
- Assisting with corporate and statutory compliance matters across all administrative departments;
- Attendance of regular meetings to take minutes;
- Preparing Offers of Employment and Employment Contracts, as periodically directed;
- Assist in the On-boarding process by collecting and reviewing documentation, ensuring completeness and accuracy, providing new hires with basic facilities information and access (keys & cards);
- Maintaining personnel file systems, both physical and digital, including HRIS data entry;
- Monitoring work permits and other immigration requirements to ensure compliance;
- Assisting with company events and staff social functions, as periodically directed.
- Legal Assistant, Legal Secretary or Paralegal certificate at a recognized post-secondary institution, or equivalent experience;
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience ideally in at least one of the following legal areas: corporate, contract, labor, international or patent;
- Strong knowledge of current legal requirements, in particular with regard to business contracts and corporate filings;
- Exceptional English language skills, both written and oral;
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e‑mail (Outlook), and SharePoint;
- Knowledge of, experience with, and ability to use general office equipment.
- Proven experience in a progressive business environment;
- Well-developed business skills;
- Ability to think beyond the immediate and be pro-active in task management.
- A pleasant, helpful, responsive manner;
- Integrity and sincerity;
- A professional and discreet manner with regard to all contacts on behalf the company;
- Be self-motivated to ensure a high level of job performance;
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to set priorities, manage time efficiently, and work with a minimum of supervision;
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization;
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team, as well as independently;