Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us. Here's our story: jobs.td.com
TD Legal is a team dedicated to providing legal advice and counsel to all TD business segments (Retail, Wealth, Insurance, Wholesale, Business Banking) as well as the Corporate Functions including Corporate Development, Enterprise Real Estate, Strategic Sourcing, Treasury, Global Anti-Money Laundering and Enterprise Technology & Shared Services.. Our dynamic professionals ensure compliance with the legal requirements for the Bank as a cross-border public company while providing legal advice to the business activities of TD Bank Group. If you want to be a brand ambassador while protecting and managing the risk for one of Canada's most trusted financial service providers, then join our team.
You will be a member of a hard-working group of lawyers in the Legal Department. As Senior Counsel, you will have a challenging and diverse practice that will allow you to refine your legal skills every day. You will work as part of a team to provide ongoing support and legal advice to TD’s Canadian Personal Bank. This includes:
- participating in the product development process, issue-spotting and liaising with subject matter experts (internal and external) to guide the Canadian Personal Bank businesses to workable solutions;
- ensuring compliance with all relevant federal and provincial legislation, including Bank Act consumer provisions;
- reviewing and advocating on new legislation and regulation;
- drafting and reviewing customer agreements and communications, including marketing materials;
- assisting in the resolution of customer issues and complaints; and
- assisting in the management of relevant regulatory relationships and managing investigations.
- BCL and licensed to practice law in Quebec.
- Bilingual (oral and written) in French and English.
- Provide best-in-class legal advice that is integrated with your clients’ strategies and objectives and coordinated across all relevant jurisdictions.
- Provide advice in a clear, concise and timely manner in a highly demanding and time sensitive environment.
- Build and maintain excellent, collaborative working relationships internally and externally and regularly advise and collaborate with other representatives of Control Functions within the Bank.
- Contribute to high-priority Legal Department initiatives, including Knowledge Management and workflow improvement.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in financial services law, with an emphasis on retail banking and consumer protection law.
- Demonstrated depth and breadth of knowledge of a broad range of Canadian bank regulatory laws and regulations, including but not limited to the Bank Act and its regulations.
- Knowledge of provincial consumer protection laws.
- Some knowledge of privacy and AML laws.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organization skills, ability to work in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to think critically, work independently and make risk-based decisions.
- Ability to interact and effectively advise senior officers of the Bank.
- Ability to deal with conflicting points of view and effect creative solutions.
- Ability to be “solutions-oriented”, have excellent business and legal judgment and an aptitude for working effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work effectively with external counsel.
We need to hire someone licensed to practice law in Quebec, however, preference will be given to someone who is called to the bar in both Quebec and Ontario. Role is open to someone located in Montreal.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Category - Primary
Legal Services / Counsel
50 Boulevard Cremazie West