Taylor McCaffrey LLP is seeking a Legal Assistant to work closely with a team comprised of legal assistants and a litigation paralegal who support a group of Litigation Lawyers, and perform substantive work that requires knowledge of Civil Litigation and Corporate & Commercial Litigation, including insurance, construction, professional and corporate governance issues and pension law. The ideal candidate will possess 3 – 5 years of experience in a similar type of position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drafting correspondence to clients and counsel.
- Drafting pleadings and legal documents.
- Dictation – prepare letters, e-mails and court documents.
- Compiling briefs.
- Reviewing examinations for discovery transcripts and preparing lists of undertakings.
- Entering data into Eclipse, and working within Eclipse to edit, organize and compile voluminous Affidavits of Documents.
- Scheduling internal and external meetings, phone calls, or Outlook calendar events.
- Making necessary bookings, and updating lawyers’ calendars.
- Entering lawyer time, prepare invoices; general and trust deposits of cheques.
- Billing (preparing pre-bills for review and making necessary corrections).
- Organizing and managing files by scanning and copying documents.
- Basic knowledge of CanLii and Westlaw to find copies of cases.
- Monitor phone calls.
- Documentation and review.
- Prepare files for hearings.
- Maintaining files in document management system.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned from time to time.
- Must be customer service driven.
- Be able to work independently and also work effectively as part of a team.
- Handle a demanding workload and respond to changing priorities as needs arise.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to effectively and tactfully communicate with individuals within the firm and clients external to the firm.
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and implement projects in a timely manner.
- Experience with Acumin and Eclipse is considered an asset.
Standard hours: 8:30 – 4:30
Job Type: Full-time
Taylor McCaffrey offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, which includes Health, Dental, Disability coverage, Insurance coverage and a Pension Plan.
Qualified candidates can submit their resume and cover letter including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those under consideration will be contacted.