Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, the Legal Counsel will support BCLC’s ongoing business by providing legal advice and guidance on a broad spectrum of legal matters including risk assessment, compliance, legal drafting of contracts, and negotiations. This role involves building influential relationships and working cooperatively with the business units it serves, other counsel, and articling students.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Proactively identifies and evaluates complex legal issues regarding business initiatives, particularly those with visibility or risk, and develops and recommends solutions to achieve business objectives efficiently with minimum legal and practical risk.
- Supports all Senior Legal Counsel, as well as all levels and business units in the company to resolve unanticipated issues and risks as they arise.
- Supports the resolution of pending or threatened disputes between the corporation and third parties. Assesses and coordinates management of litigation and provides instruction to external counsel in conjunction with Senior Legal Counsel, as required.
- Develops and implements mitigation strategies to reduce impact of the corporation’s exposure to legal and business risks.
- Provides practical legal advice to all business units on a wide variety of matters.
- Implements and supports best practices recommendations regarding corporate compliance.
- Drafts and edits correspondence, memos, internal/external briefing papers, and legal briefs regarding sensitive issues with reputational and other risks.
- Establishes and maintains strong communications and working relationships within the corporation to ensure that legal advice is sought by internal clients when needed and at times, to external stakeholders, as required. Supports and fosters a culture of compliance and collaboration.
- May provide support on freedom of information matters, including preparing submissions, attending hearings and court proceedings. Works closely with the BCLC Freedom of Information (FOI) department and assists with preparation of FOI responses, as needed.
- Law degree and a current member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia;
- Minimum 3-6 years in public or private law practice in a related field, including corporate and commercial law, intellectual property law, information technology law, creditors’ remedies, administrative law or contract interpretation, drafting, and negotiation would be an asset.
- Experience giving practical legal advice to businesses through building strong knowledge of the business and understanding strategies and risks.
- Experience with regulatory, administrative and privacy law proceedings and commercial and inter-jurisdictional agreements would be an asset;
- Experience with government procurement law would be considered an asset;
- Experience with general litigation would be considered an asset;
- Experience with gaming law would be considered an asset;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to handle a diverse range of complex issues and responsibilities in an accomplished and professional manner;
- Strong commercial law skills;
- Strong business acumen;
- Strong working knowledge of the provisions of the FIPPA and regulations;
- Ability to represent the corporation at formal proceedings (both court and administrative) would be an asset;
- Well-developed organizational skills;
- Ability to communicate to all levels of the organization in writing and in person, in both formal and informal settings;
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to identify potential issues and risks and craft solutions;
- Pragmatic and business-oriented approach to find solutions to legal matters; able to work cross-functionally to influence business practices and build buy-in.
- Thorough understanding of protecting legal privilege and maintaining strict confidentiality;
- Ability to work autonomously and in a dynamic and changing environment whilst having a clear team-building spirit and focus;
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with Senior Legal Counsel as well as stakeholders, both internal and external, in a complex organization; a highly respected and collaborative team player; empathetic and participatory. Builds a high level of trust and cooperation.
Please Note This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Please Note Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada