Perform a variety of legal assistant and administrative duties for assigned attorneys, many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Assist with general office support efforts as requested and assigned
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively compose various legal documentation including but not limited to pleadings, discovery, subpoenas and draft correspondence.
- Review incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly.
- Provide necessary telephone assistance including, but not limited to, answering callers routine questions.
- Maintain attorney calendar as well as maintain diary and tickler dates appropriately.
- Review calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed.
- Input and maintain information into case management system and ensure data integrity.
- Maintain, organize and index all case files for staff attorneys; file correspondence, pleadings and other documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Schedule/coordinate depositions, medical examinations and other court designated hearings.
- Retain court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Act as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/ coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval.
- Act as a liaison between client and Staff Counsel office by furnishing and requesting information as needed and assist in completion of administrative reports.
- Assist with Trial preparation.
- Summarize discovery responses and draft standard discovery motions.
- Conduct preliminary legal research as necessary.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a legal assistant required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Experience in insurance defense litigation preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Familiar with the usage of a case management system and other software applications.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.