Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us. Here's our story: jobs.td.com
Under moderate supervision, provides standard legal assistant support for one or more staff Lawyers; maintains a close and highly responsive relationship to the day-to-day activities of the Lawyer(s). Exercises initiative and judgment on a regular basis.
1. Prepares, through transcription of written or recorded documents, complex legal documents i.e. correspondence, factums, motions, summonses etc.
2. Drafts standard legal documents, correspondence and pleadings for review by lawyer(s). Edits grammar, punctuation and spelling as needed.
3. Exercises intiative and judgment in Lawyer’s absence, i.e., negotiates extensions of time.
4. Manages Lawyer's calendar i.e., schedules appointments, coordinates appearances. Resolves scheduling conflicts on own initiative.
5. Answers a wide variety of telephone inquiries based on knowledge of case. Responds to inquiries exercising good judgment and discretion.
6. Responds to written or telephone inquiries with a standard letter. Composes and prepares routine inquiries.
7. Establishes, maintains, and when necessary, revises Lawyer's files.
8. Assists in the development and maintenance of standard office precedents and procedures.
9. Performs additional duties as requested such as:
• Arranges medical exams.
• Reception relief.
• Maintains lists of witnesses, Subpoenas, fees, etc.
• Requests fees for payment from Claims department.
• Participates in arranging lawyer’s files for easy access during trials.
• Informs witnesses of scheduled court appearances.
• Maintains Law Library.
• And other miscellaneous duties as may be assigned from time to time.
10. Responsible for answering questions or providing guidance for less experienced legal assistants.
Education College diploma in legal secretarial or equivalent training/experience.
Experience On average, 3 or more years experience in role.
Knowledge Knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing. Knowledge of legal and court documents and procedures. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with policyholders, courts, Lawyers and Judges. Ability to edit and proof legal documents.
***Preference would be that individual has knowledge and/or experience in both Atlantic and Ontario jurisdictions.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.