At Sienna Senior Living, our mission is to help residents live fully, every day. Our more than 12,000 dedicated team members are passionate about caring for seniors united by a belief in the warmth of human connection.
The Senior Vice President, General Counsel is a key member of the Senior Executive team of Sienna Senior Living, a TSX listed public company. The SVP, General Counsel will be responsible for all legal matters affecting the company, including providing strategic guidance, consultation, and support to the senior executive team on a comprehensive range of legal and associated issues involved in carrying out the company’s mission.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Vice President, General Counsel will lead/advise on all legal matters pertaining to both strategic and operational activity that ultimately helps our residents live fully, every day.
The successful candidate will have broad legal expertise with an emphasis on corporate/commercial, corporate governance and securities law and will have skills and experience gained from a top tier firm and/or company, with exposure to senior living, health care, hospitality related companies and familiarity with both Ontario and BC laws. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and team player who can demonstrate strong initiative, strategic thinking and astute business acumen.
- Responsible for all legal requirements and initiatives of Sienna, including Corporate/Commercial, Corporate Governance, Securities Regulatory Compliance and Privacy
- Work closely with the Sienna senior team in preparation and review of all of Sienna’s disclosure and regulatory filings under applicable securities laws, including annual Management Information Circular, Annual Information Form and Quarterly Financial Statements and MD&A
- Draft, negotiate and manage all commercial contracts for various business units in the organization
- Act as the Secretary to the Board of Directors and responsible for corporate governance matters.
- Provide general legal advice to the company, including general legal risk assessment and management
- Act as the main point of contact for all legal matters including managing relationships with external legal resources
- Actively automate, improve and scale internal legal policies and procedures
- 15+ years experience in the legal field, preferably gained at a major Canadian law firm and/or in-house legal department of an enterprise level publicly traded company; 3+ years as a General Counsel or similar role would be an asset
- Strong strategic insight; ability to engage in meaningful "point and counterpoint" discussions at senior leadership level regarding strategic scenarios, options and opportunities
- Knowledge and experience with the Senior Living / Healthcare / Hospitality sector
- Possess strong analytical skills to evaluate and interpret trends and data at the macro level and can present these trends to others in a simplified, understandable manner
- Highly creative and intrinsically innovative; ability to contemplate, explore, vet and prioritize business models that produce optimized business results for the organization and its members
- Strong team player, intelligent and sophisticated, with the ability to relate well to a wide variety of people; a proactive and competent thinker.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to attract, motivate, develop and retain a high caliber customer-focused legal team, ideally both in-house and external resources
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to fluidly present and develop peer-level credibility with a wide range of audiences, up to and including the board of directors
- Demonstrates the commitment, confidence and sense of urgency necessary to bring diverse constituencies and teams together in pursuit of common business goals
- Energetic, problem-solver and optimistic; cohesive team player that exudes a "can do" attitude; enjoys facing challenges and has strong financial acumen
- High integrity, values-based professional; demonstrated ability to balance work-life demands amid significant pressure and foster/nurture healthy, trusting, symbiotic relationships
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- Minimum of LLB degree