BBTV is a media-tech company advancing the world through the creation, distribution, management and monetization of content. BBTV provides end-to-end solutions to content owners including proprietary tech, leading services and enhanced distribution & monetization. We have built proprietary VISO technologies leveraging machine learning, digital signal processing and big data to power our platform and ecosystem. Our key revenue streams represent the most relevant and scalable opportunities for monetization of digital IP across advertising, SaaS/content management, mobile apps and other revenue streams. BBTV is the second largest video property worldwide in terms of unique viewers following only Google, reaching tens of billions of monthly impressions.
Reporting to General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will lead and manage the corporate commercial legal team, while performing complex legal work that supports BBTV’s growth and strategic goals.
- In collaboration with General Counsel, provide legal support and advice to all internal teams that enables business growth while managing legal risks.
- Recruit, develop, and manage BBTV’s corporate commercial legal team.
- Coach, mentor and enable individual and team success through 1-on-1 meetings, reviewing performance, optimizing employee retention, communication and removing barriers to success
- Oversee the Legal team’s work-flow, developing and implementing collaborative best practices and strategies to continuously improve efficiency and productivity.
- Provide ongoing education and training for internal stakeholders to improve their understanding of legal concepts, maximize efficiency and mitigate risk.
- Develop and implement a set of standard operating best practices to guide business units.
- Support and/or lead the negotiation of technology, media and entertainment agreements related to BBTV’s partnership opportunities.
- Responsible for drafting complex and specialized terms and conditions that balance BBTV’s risk and the needs of our unique client/partner base
- Draft and negotiate an array of commercial agreements such as letters of intent, term sheets and long form agreements
- Manage disputes combining your business acumen with your risk mitigation abilities
- Stay informed of developments in laws and regulations that may affect the business and/or its strategies and provide advice and education to management and across the business units.
- Self-educate and educate the Legal team on business and legal strategies to improve the team’s productivity and build value in BBTV’s internal & external stakeholder relationships
- Maintain and model a positive and professional attitude, that cultivates healthy working relationships across all levels of the organization
- Oversee BBTV’s standard form contracts, and ensure right processes are in place to operate efficiently and successfully within the team and interact successfully with all business units
- Other duties as reasonably assigned by the Company from time to time
- A minimum of seven years of relevant and progressive experience, with at least five (5) of those in commercial litigation, preferably in the technology, media or entertainment industries.
- LLB degree, and must be a member in good standing of the BC Bar Association, or other provincial association (preference given to BC)
- Demonstrated track record of supporting innovative and impactful business decisions and partnerships, from a Legal perspective, in digital & social media, technology and/or entertainment industries
- Prior experience and strong personal interest in leading, mentoring and developing legal professionals in their career growth.
- Proven expertise in navigating complex negotiations
- Demonstrated expertise in identifying the legal risks and significance of business partnerships, transactions and initiatives
- Demonstrated competence in drafting complex contracts and agreements, and preparing presentations and legal business plans
- Ability to present compelling and difficult legal insights to internal and external stakeholders
- Highly motivated, self-starter, able to remain adaptable and move quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Applicable knowledge of multi-jurisdictional securities law (Canada and the United States) given preference
- Other duties as may be required from time to time
At BBTV, our team is everything. We offer competitive compensation packages, flexible hours and operate on a horizontal management structure that rewards creativity and values transparency.
From our commitment to giving back (support for everyone to volunteer with a charitable or community initiative), our culture committee (social events, team-building, diversity and inclusion), and our support for personal and career development through our learning & development program, we’re not your typical 9-5 gig.
BBTV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to foster a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the individuals we serve and to provide employees with a meaningful and inclusive work environment, free of discrimination and harassment.
BBTV believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Indigenous people, people of color, people of all genders or non-genders, and people with disabilities of all types are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To all recruitment agencies, BBTV does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, BBTV employees or any other company location. BBTV is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.