Detailed Job Description
Based in Enerflex's corporate headquarters in Calgary, and reporting to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel, the Corporate Secretary & Associate General Counsel will ensure that the Corporation and its Board of Directors and Executive Management Team remain compliant with public company and corporate reporting and filings, subsidiary governance, and corporate governance requirements.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties
- Plan, organize and attend Board of Directors meetings and annual general meetings ofshareholders and other special meetings, as necessary, and oversee advance meeting materials
- Attend to public company corporate law and continuous disclosure matters, including reviewing press releases and managing the preparation and filing of proxy information circulars, annual information forms and ancillary documents
- Oversee and update enterprise-wide policies related to governance, disclosure, capital markets and other matters
- Oversee minute books and ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements for Enerflex and its various subsidiary companies in multiple jurisdictions, including corporate records, resolutions, bylaws; prepare all Board and Committee meeting minutes
- Remain current with public market disclosure obligations, corporate governance trends and best practices; advise the General Counsel thereof
- Manage the data verification process with ISS and other applicable third-party rating agencies
- Support on matters relating to director compensation
- Oversee all SEDI and TSX filings, and manage activities with the transfer agent
- Oversee and support the Regions and Marketing team with IP management
- Supervision and management of Corporate Paralegal
As a member of Enerflex’s Global Legal team, the Corporate Secretary & Associate General Counsel will also provide broader support to Enerflex from time to time, as directed by the General Counsel.
Such duties may include:
- Advising and assisting on corporate transactions as required, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture agreements, corporate financings (debt & equity) and intercompany matters
- Collaborating with and supporting business support functions, including Human Resources, IT and Finance, on projects as they arise
- Advising and assisting colleagues on various matters, including commercial transactions, policies, and processes
The following education, experience and technical skills are desired for the role:
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in Alberta
- Minimum six years of Corporate Secretarial experience with a public company, ideally with a multinational company
- Experience in supporting corporate development initiatives, including M&A, joint ventures and financing transactions
- Previous in-house legal counsel experience is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and coordinate legal aspects of complex
- transactions involving numerous disciplines and participants
- Experience working and advising on matters with multi-disciplinary teams
The personal characteristics required are just as critical to success as the technical skills. The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Proven strong interpersonal skills to influence others, work with all levels of management, establish trust, and gain the confidence of others in the organization and on the Board
- Superior organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Resourcefulness and the ability to establish and focus on key priorities while taking a hands-on approach to managing issues and delivering legal services
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A collaborative work style and easy-going personality, an essential asset to work within a small legal team
Fast-paced general office environment. Many tasks have high degrees of time sensitivity. Domestic and international travel is possible on occasion.
What Enerflex Offers You:
- Competitive Compensation
- Employer Paid Health and Dental Benefits
- Flex Days
- Employee Share Purchase Program
- Employer Matched Pension Program
- Safety Focused Culture
- Incentive Programs
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Collaborative in office work environment, supportive team members
- Work/life flexibility
Enerflex is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Enerflex grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Equal employment opportunities are provided in recruitment, hiring, promotions, wages, benefits, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, tasks, duties, knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
Please visit our website at www.enerflex.com for more information.