Governance and Legal Assistant
to the University Secretariat
Thunder Bay Campus
Full Time, Contract [six months with possible extension]
The Governance and Legal Assistant will provide administrative assistance and clerical support to the members of the University Secretariat, including the Associate University Secretary, Assistant University Secretary, and Law Clerk, and will carry out a wide variety of activities with a high level of confidentiality and in an efficient, professional and courteous manner. The incumbent may also provide assistant secretarial support to various governance bodies and their committees under the supervision of other members of the University Secretariat team. A job fact sheet detailing the required duties is available in the Office of Human Resources.
· Reception – greeting Governors, Senators, members of the Ogimaawin Indigenous Education Council, students, faculty, staff and visitors, provide information from walk-in traffic, phone calls, and emails in a professional, courteous and discreet manner
· Assist in supporting governance meetings, including organization, implementation, and follow-up
· Assist in coordinating various special events;
· Prepare materials for meeting packages;
· Manage individual calendars and schedule meetings as required;
· Manage the collection and recording of attendance reports for staff within individual offices;
· Organize and distribute incoming and outgoing internal/external mail, work with courier companies to ship various packages, often with tight deadlines;
· Organize and maintain general filing systems - both electronic and paper;
· Organize and administer travel arrangements (flight/hotel, ground transportation, submissions to Concur [online travel authorization and expense approval system]) as required;
· Provide excellent customer service;
· Perform other duties as required.
· A two year Office Administration Executive college diploma and/or previous office experience preferably in a higher education setting; governance support experience or experience working in a legal office would be an asset;
· Advanced level computer skills, including various Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
· Ability to work and handle all office duties in a confidential manner, including Board of Governor’s confidential information;
· Ability to interact in a diverse, fast-paced work environment, exercising diplomacy and discretion;
· Ability to multitask a variety of high-priority duties and work with frequent interruptions and under the pressure of changing priorities and short deadlines;
· Excellent listening and communication skills, spelling and grammar skills, both written and verbal;
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and customer service skills;
· Excellent administrative skills including records management to ensure efficiency and effectiveness;
· Familiarity of Lakehead University policies, procedures and organizational structure would be an asset;
· Familiar with safe work habits and an understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a single pdf document quoting competition
#SchII-21-36, containing a cover letter and resume, along with the contact information of three work-related references by September 17, 2021 to:
Office of Human Resources
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Lakehead University is committed to an environment of open access to employment opportunities. Accommodations are available for all applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at (807) 343-8334. We appreciate your interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Application deadline: 2021-09-17
Job Type: Contract