At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for nine consecutive years and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, UM is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
The Associate Legal Counsel's primary role is to support the Office of Legal Counsel in all matters related to contract review, drafting and negotiation, intellectual property, property, charitable donations, and regulatory compliance. The Associate Legal Counsel may also be asked to conduct legal research and provide assistance in the provision of legal opinions. Responsibilities include:
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
· Bachelor of Laws degree from a reputable Canadian university (or equivalent) is required.
· A practicing member of, or eligible to be, a practicing member of the Law Society of Manitoba. (Any candidate who is not, at the time of application, currently a member shall be made an offer conditional upon obtaining membership within one year of the start date).
· A minimum of three to five years' experience in the practice of law is required.
· Strong background and experience in the following areas of law: Contracts, Policy Development, Charities Law, Software and Licensing and Purchasing/Procurement, is required.
· Experience or interest in working with a university or other educational institution is preferred.
· Experience in the private practice of law is preferred.
· An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Complex problem solving and outstanding legal research skills are required.
· Complex drafting skills and strong computer skills are required.
· Broad knowledge of legislation and common law is required.
· Effective verbal presentation skills and persuasive writing skills are required.
· Efficient time-management skills and strong organizational skills are required.
· Must have skills allowing for effective prioritizing of work.
· Ability to draft, review, and/or negotiate a wide variety of agreements is required.
· Ability to provide complete, thoroughly researched, and accurate formal and informal legal opinions, is required.
· Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
· Must have ability to effectively negotiate on behalf of the University.
· Must have proficiency with computers and software commonly used.
· Ability to lead projects is required.
· Ability to work independently, with little direction or supervision, is required.
· Ability to work effectively in teams or committees, including the ability to lead such committees, is required.
· Must have the ability to work with a broad spectrum of University employees, from senior administrators to those in entry-level positions.
· Significant exposure to other areas of law frequently encountered at the University is preferred. - Familiarity with issues relating to Canadian universities is preferred.
· Familiarity with the University of Manitoba is preferred.
· Satisfactory work record, including satisfactory attendance and punctuality, is required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
· Comprehensive group benefits program and pension plan.
· Employee and Family Assistance Program.
· A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, UM Careers where you will find the full job specification: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=15835
Closing Date: July 18, 2021
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $60,542.00-$90,813.00 per year