Norseman Structures has been in the protection and shelter business for almost 100 years, starting with the fabrication of outfitter and exploration tents in the 1920s. Today we deliver a wide variety of ShelterSolutions to customers in virtually every industry, in a variety of climates, anywhere in the world.
We are looking to add a Legal Counsel to our team in either Edmonton, Calgary or Saskatoon. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this role will provide day-to-day counsel, guidance, and support related to contracts and construction law, and other legal matters to the company's business units.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for providing timely, accurate, practical, and pragmatic legal support and services to various business units, with a focus on customer and vendor contracts and employment law, while appropriately balancing risk and opportunity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and risk assessments across a broad range of legal matters related to contracts/construction law.
- Advise business partners on legal, contractual, and risk matters impacting their areas of responsibility.
- Analyze and summarize legal documents and complex business transactions and contracts.
- Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems involving the assigned Business Units.
- Conduct and compile research, maintain/update the company's legal templates and other documents.
- Review owner and vendor contracts and support business unit leaders in the bidding/negotiation process.
- Analyze change orders and waivers/releases prepared by others for legal risks.
- Manage pending litigation and corporate disclosures for RFQ/RFP/prequalification responses.
- Maintain and utilize best practices concerning contract terms.
- Deliver legal training to the Business Units on a variety of legal topics, including project-specific requirements and ethics/compliance.
- Keep abreast of any legislative changes that could affect the company's activities. Interpret these amendments and their implications for the company. Provide recommendations and draft communications regarding such changes.
- Develop and provide input to capture market trends and continuously improve processes.
- Perform other activities, duties, and responsibilities as assigned.
- Practicing Lawyer, Member in good standing with Law Society within Canada.