General Counsel: 1156496
Who we are
As the Working and Learning Company, we at Staples Canada, are dynamic, inspiring partners to our customers and the communities in which we live. At Staples, we inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We look for people who are curious, approachable and passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that’s you, let’s work, learn and grow together.
We are building an inclusive and diverse team
Staples Canada is creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. We welcome, value and thrive on perspectives and contributions from backgrounds that vary by race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lifestyle, age, educational background, national origin, religion or physical ability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Some of what you will do
As the General Counsel, you will lead and manage the legal function at Staples Canada. Reporting to the CEO you will provide advice and guidance to all areas of the Staples business in Canada to support the company’s business strategy.
Specifically, you will:
- Identify and manage legal risk
- Advise the board and senior management on legal risks, rights and changes to laws
- Act as a member of the Staples Canada Leadership Team
- Manage the Canadian legal team
- Draft and negotiate contracts, including vendor agreements, supplier agreements, partnership contracts, and real estate leases and documents
- Manage litigation for and against the company
- Research and analyze complex issues to provide pragmatic advice and recommendations to the organization, in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives
- Advise on regulatory and compliance matters, including the privacy program and privacy matters
- Act as a trusted legal and business partner
- Retain and instruct external counsel where required
- Corporate secretarial and governance work
Some of what you need
- License to practice law in the province of Ontario
- Minimum 10 years of legal practice
- Significant corporate General Counsel experience
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Cooperative and team-oriented approach, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with associates at all levels across the organization
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively with a variety of stakeholders having competing demands and deadlines in a fast-paced and changing business environment
- A high degree of professionalism, business judgment and unquestioned personal ethics, integrity and responsibility
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solver
Some of what you will get
- Associate discount
- Health and Dental benefits
- Performance bonuses
- Learning & Development programs
- And more...
- Office environment with the option to work remotely some of the time, based on business needs.
Staples Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities.