EY's global alliance of independent law firms cooperate with our offices worldwide to provide our clients with integrated, quality service. Our award-winning tax planning, counsel and litigation teams offer a powerful combination of legal knowledge, experience and national presence to help your organization successfully navigate the complexities of Canada’s tax laws. Our team has been ranked among Canada’s best and a number of our lawyers are widely regarded as leading practitioners and authorities in various areas of tax law and tax litigation, customs and excise and international trade law.
Your key responsibilities
The successful candidate will be involved with all aspects of tax controversy management. Responsibilities will include:
Skills and attributes for success
- Assisting clients in responding to federal and provincial audits; advising clients on the tax dispute resolution process; preparing notices of objection and written representations to the federal and provincial tax appeals divisions; and assisting with the litigation of tax appeals before various courts.
- This role also includes assisting with the preparation of legal opinions with respect to the tax consequences of transactions and performing post-transaction audits for tax efficacy and litigation risk.
To qualify for the role you must have
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic team-oriented environment
- Sound professional judgement and high level of professionalism
What we look for
- 3 to 5 years of tax litigation and controversy experience gained at a leading law firm
- Superior academic credentials and excellent communication and research skills
- The candidate must also be a member in good standing of the Canadian Bar
We’re interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work and with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.