Toronto, ON, CA, M5G 1X6
Req ID: 19141
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Education Level: Bachelor of Law degree (LLB), Member in good standings with Law Society of Upper Canada (must retain status), prior experience in the energy industry will be considered an asset.
Location(s): Downtown Toronto | 700 University Avenue, Toronto, ON
Until further notice, this role will be a work from home position due to (COVID-19) pandemic.
Travel: Yes - As required, mainly GTA / Durham region
Deadline to Apply: November 30, 2020
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At Ontario Power Generation Inc. (OPG), our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities. BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow.
OPG is seeking a business-minded and results-oriented commercial lawyer to join our legal team in the role of Legal Counsel for our downtown Toronto location.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the role of Legal Counsel provides strategic legal support to OPG in the practice areas of corporate/commercial law. Responsibilities will include providing strategic, practical and risk-based legal advice to various client groups, supporting various levels of management, including senior executives in the area(s) of:
- Construction projects and strategic corporate and business development initiatives;
- Intellectual property and information and technology;
- Procurement processes;
- Nuclear liability and compensation;
- Drafting and negotiating strategic agreements with OPG’s suppliers and contractors;
- Supporting business opportunities embarked on by OPG’s subsidiaries;
- Compliance with Construction Act requirements;
- Maintaining and updating OPG’s standard contracts;
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on OPG’s governance; and
- Liaising with and managing external counsel.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Provide high quality and timely legal advice in areas on law identified above;
- Develop and execute legal strategy through management of all aspects of providing legal advice in the areas of law identified above;
- Advise OPG business partners on managing legal, including contractual, risks;
- Stay current on OPG’s business and legal matters in general, including statutory changes, significant case law, and prevailing legal strategy;
- Work independently and as a member of a team to identify, research and resolve legal issues, overcome practical barriers, and provide options that will work best for the OPG business;
- Educate business partners about legal matters and developments relevant to their business area;
- Employ effective work practices and document/file management;
- Meet all work schedule requirements and proactively pursue new challenges and files;
- Liaise and develop effective relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization; and
- Interact with and represent OPG with external stakeholders who may include OPG’s shareholder, government bodies and ministries, financial institutions, external counsel engaged by OPG, and opposing legal counsel.
- Bachelor of Law degree (LLB); and
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada / Law Society of Ontario (must retain status).
We are seeking a commercial/corporate lawyer, with relevant experience ideally gained at a large Bay Street firm or in-house legal department of a large corporation, including the following:
- Two to four years of experience in the relevant practice areas;
- Experience working in/for a highly regulated industry such as utilities, energy, power, and/or experience working for a highly industrial or heavy infrastructure organization, while having supported broader public services sector is preferred;
- Proven ability to work in a complex and regulated corporate environment;
- Experience providing legal support on a wide variety of commercial contracts; having an agile approach, aptitude to learn new subject matter quickly and ability to pivot as required;
- Experience advising clients on matters related to the Construction Act;
- Ability to provide sound, risk-based and practical legal advice; experience providing advice to key internal business partners at various levels of management, including senior executives;
- Understanding or desire to gain understanding of OPG’s business; willingness and ability to be a valued partner who provides strategic legal advice, while adding value as key decisions impacting the business are being made;
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience in building and maintaining productive relationships with internal and external business partners/stakeholders; directing, liaising and briefing outside counsel as required;
- A results-oriented focus and the ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment and effectively manage several projects simultaneously; sense of urgency and decision making skills conducive to managing priorities and meeting internal and external timelines;
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, research and creative problem solving skills, with a keen eye for detail;
- Effective oral communications skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Superior writing skills including the ability to compile information from research, case files or verbal direction, in order to draft documentation and briefs;
- Ability to learn quickly and adjust to change, ability to quickly understand information received from a number of different sources, analyze complex situations and risk implications to reach appropriate conclusions, providing recommendations for solutions and a path forward and pivot as required;
- Highest level of personal integrity, sound professional judgement and business acumen;
- Ability to work independently as an individual contributor and be a member of a team;
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and confident; and
- Proficiency with the use of tools such as Microsoft Word, Outlook Express, Excel, Westlaw and Quicklaw.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
- If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions, such as Launchpad or X-Lab.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., November 30, 2020. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com