Associate Legal Counsel
Are you a quick-thinking and driven individual seeking the growth and challenge that comes from working in a dynamic and growing world-class pension fund? Are you interested in working on cutting-edge issues in a highly collaborative and high-performance legal team? Are you looking for a career where you can contribute to a mission that has real life impact on the lives of Ontario healthcare workers? If so, we want to hear from you!
The Associate Legal Counsel role will reside in the Legal & Internal Audit Services Division. The Associate will report to, and work under the supervision of Legal Counsel, Corporate. The group’s principles are focused on delivering practical, business-oriented advice and support in a fast-paced, hands-on environment. They value hard work, innovative solutions, team collaboration and rethinking the status quo.
Why you’ll love working here:
What you will do:
- World class Defined Benefit pension
- 100% company paid Extended Health and Dental benefits
- Annual wellness program for reimbursement of health & wellness related expenses
- On-site/online fitness, yoga and meditation classes as well as massage therapy
- Business casual dress code
- You’re making an impact and helping to deliver on our Pension Promise
With direction, support and under the supervision of their Manager and, where applicable, other senior lawyers on the Legal team, the Associate's primary responsibilities will be as follows:
Who you are:
- Review and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements including information technology agreements (e.g. software licensing arrangements, cloud-based solutions, statements of work, subscription agreements, data feeds, etc.), services agreements, consulting agreements, maintenance and support agreements, non-disclosure agreements and other related documentation, with a view to ensuring compliance with HOOPP's policies and risk tolerance.
- Conduct legal research, develop and provide legal advice and support on issues raised by the business; draft letters, correspondence and other documents to communicate such legal advice and support.
- Develop and draft policies, standards, practices and other related documentation for effective governance, including identification, assessment and management of legal and related operational risks.
- Communicate and educate staff on various policies and procedures and help to monitor and encourage compliance.
- Support HOOPP's privacy program, including tracking breaches, addressing privacy concerns relating to new technologies, advising on contractual terms, and supporting or developing privacy education and training initiatives.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of statutory and common law (including emerging legal issues) in various areas of law, including: technology, corporate/ commercial, privacy, pension, tax, employment and litigation.
- Assist in the interpretation of laws and regulations and prepare oral and written legal advice and guidance on issues of relevance and impact to HOOPP's business and operations.
- Assist in the management and mitigation of legal risk in relation to HOOPP's business and operations.
- Engage and co-ordinate internal and external resources, including external legal counsel, to resolve legal issues.
- Support the maintenance and continuous improvement of HOOPP's agreements, legal processes and repositories of legal resources and embrace the use of innovative technology in the delivery of legal services.
Law degree from an accredited law school, called to the Ontario Bar and member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario; 2-3 years of experience practicing with a law firm or in-house legal department; and experience in negotiating a variety of commercial arrangements and drafting relevant agreements. Experience negotiating and documenting transactions involving technology provisioning or procurement would be of advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional ability to analyze and synthesize complex legal issues;
- High degree of initiative and results-oriented
- Impeccable judgment and unwavering integrity
- Keenly interested in technology and innovation
- Superior relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Team-first attitude
Knowledge of the following, preferably with some practical experience in each area:
Notice for job applicants
- Commercial transactions (including IT procurement and management arrangements)
- Corporate governance
- Pension & benefits law
- Employment law
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario's hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 381,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 590 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada's largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP's net assets reached $94.1 billion at the end of 2019 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP's core values - professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy - guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We've become one of Canada's leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we're proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.
Legal and Audit