Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak):
$91305.53 to $114131.91
Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
This position reports to the Legal Services team in our Office of the Chief Financial Officer sector. In this sector, we use financial foresight and legal insight to improve housing affordability.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. As a member of the Legal Services team, reporting to a Director (Legal Services), you will provide comprehensive and intermediary to advanced-level legal services, to internal business and support groups in order to contribute to the overall objectives and mission of CMHC. You will establish and maintain positive on-going relationships with internal groups through the provision of efficient and result-oriented legal services relating to their activities to help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
What you will be doing
- Membership in good standing with the Barreau du Québec.
- A minimum of five years’ relevant legal experience (as described below) or equivalent, in private or public sector firms or organizations.
- Demonstrated experience providing legal advice in the following areas of practice: commercial financing and/or default management; commercial insolvency and bankruptcy.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple files under tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated experience conducting legal research and drafting.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining a professional relationship with internal stakeholders at the middle and advanced levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills (written and verbal) in both official languages.
- Capacity to evolve in technological environments using IT-driven solutions.
- Knowledge of Crown corporations’ environment and the federal government machinery would be an asset.
Does this sound like you?
- Provide comprehensive legal support to CMHC’s mortgage loan insurance activities and other financing programs.
- Identify legal, risk and strategic issues, and collaborate with internal groups to achieve business objectives.
- Provide advice on legal implications related to programs and policies.
- Support the legislative monitoring framework of federal, provincial and territorial legislation, and jurisprudential developments across multiple jurisdictions.
- Support CMHC’s regulatory compliance activities and efforts.
- Assist in various other matters related to the delivery of support by the Legal Services Division, as may be assigned by the Directors or the Vice President of Legal Services.
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date:
Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
Job Requisition ID:
Montreal (QC); Ottawa (ON); Quebec (QC)
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.