- The Ministry of the Attorney General is seeking Legal Counsel to provide senior-level legal services and policy advice to the Ministry of Finance as part of the Tax Avoidance Analysis Unit, a special unit working at the intersection of tax law and policy.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Providing policy-focused legal services and support to the Ministry of Finance by giving both oral and written legal opinions and advice on complex tax avoidance matters with the intention of developing taxation policy
- Interpreting provincial and federal tax legislation for the purpose of providing legal and policy advice in respect of complex tax avoidance matters
- Contributing technical legal tax expertise to the development of tax avoidance policy and related legislative initiatives, and leading the development of technical tax policy based on legal expertise
- Working closely with taxation policy staff in developing taxation policy options for the Ministry, including contribution to briefing material and participation in briefings
- Proposing amendments to provincial tax statutes and regulations for complex measures to address tax avoidance and evasion
- Working closely with federal colleagues (Department of Finance) to provide policy support on tax avoidance matters with potential impact on the shared tax base.
- Monitoring international and domestic tax avoidance issues and emerging tax planning techniques, and their potential impact on Ontario's tax revenues, and developing legislative options to address these techniques
- Working closely with federal, provincial and territorial counterparts, tax administrators (Canada Revenue Agency) and tax litigators (Department of Justice) to keep up to date on intergovernmental tax issues, determine administrative feasibility of potential policy or legislative changes, provide recommendations on administration of tax legislation, and to provide support on litigation of tax avoidance matters.
How do I qualify?
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and extensive experience in income tax law and sophisticated tax planning, for example as evidenced by experience as a legal practitioner specializing in tax law
- Demonstrated experience in interpreting and analyzing tax and other related provincial and federal legislation, including those of other jurisdictions
- Proven analytical ability in dealing with complex tax issues and related policies, including knowledge of transactions/structures/schemes used to minimize tax liabilities
- Knowledge and experience with issues related to government finance and taxation policy
- Capacity to provide expert legal research and advice in complex areas of law
- Proven strong judgment, communications, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks while working under tight deadlines with changing and competing demands
- Ability to conduct legal research in complex areas of law, handle own files and provide leadership in a team environment with counsel, policy advisors, and other staff
- Ability to inspire client confidence and to work effectively as a team member
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 18 months, 777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region, Criminal Record Check
Association of Law Officers of the Crown
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Friday, October 16, 2020
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.