As the successful candidate you will:
- Alberta Justice and Solicitor General has a Part-Time Legal Assistant position available at the Crown Prosecutors office in St. Paul. Join a supportive team environment that provides challenging work in the legal field.
As the ideal candidate you possess:
- Facilitate pre-charge consultation and/or contact with stakeholders.
- Manage witnesses, including scheduling interviews, explaining the criminal process, answering and/or resolving questions and concerns.
- Liaise with external and internal stakeholders to ensure appropriate handling of criminal files.
- Manage, organize and maintain Crown files.
- Track and maintain disclosure.
- Prepare court brief (trial books).
- Prepare and file complex legal documentation such as Notices of Motion, Orders and a wide variety of other court documents.
- Respond to and follow up from enquiries from the public, defense counsel and the accused.
- Create and complete all forms of correspondence.
- Perform specialized ad-hoc administrative tasks as assigned by the Chief Crown Prosecutor.
- A comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and processes.
- Excellent oral, written communication and computer skills.
- Exceptional organizational ability and attention to detail.
- Problem solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- A high degree of initiative.
A two year Diploma in a related field such as a Legal Assistant, Paralegal, or Criminology, plus one year related administrative, senior legal Secretarial, legal assistant or other related experience isrequired.
Experience working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, JOIN, PRISM, Law Prediscovery are considered assets.
Experience in a legal environment specializing in criminal law is preferred.
Equivalencies will be considered:
Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of: 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies: http://psc.alberta.ca/APSCompetencies
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies: Agility:
Ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, maintain resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work in a changing environment.Drive for Results:
Knowing what outcomes are important and maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization, while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders.Develop Self and Others:
A commitment to lifelong learning, and the desire to invest in the development of the long-term capability of yourself and others.Build Collaborative Environments:
Leads and contributes to the conditions and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.Develop Networks:
Proactively building networks, connecting, and building trust in relationships with different stakeholders.Systems Thinking:
The work done within the APS is part of a larger integrated and inter-related environment. It is important to know that work done in one part of the APS impacts a variety of other groups/projects inside and outside the APS. Systems Thinking allows us to keep broader impacts and connections in mind.Creative Problem Solving:
Ability to assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
$1,008.81 to $1,240.36 bi-weekly ($26,329 to $32,373 annually)
- The Alberta Public Service is a great place to work!
- There is one Permanent, Part-Time (0.50) position available.
What we offer:
- Location: St. Paul, Alberta
- Comprehensive benefits plan: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/employees/DocList122.cfm
- Pension plan: http://www.pspp.ca/
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Accessible career consulting services
- Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo security screening. This competition may be used to fill future permanent, temporary, full time and part time vacancies.
- Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary.
How to Apply
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.Online applications are preferred.
Please visit https://www.jobs.alberta.ca to apply online. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted as ONE file and that you include the Job ID #. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your lastname, then firstname (Smith,Joe_Resume) and that the document name is no more than 60 characters in length. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
Please do not submit multiple applications.
Your valid email address and the Job ID # must be included with your application. Please note that interview invitations are most often sent out via email.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) - http://work.alberta.ca/iqas. It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
ONLY if you are unable to submit your application online, you may submit your application in ONE file, quoting the Job ID, to Chantal Nguyen by email at Chantal.Nguyen@gov.ab.ca.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Chantal.Nguyen@gov.ab.ca.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.