No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
POSITION OVERVIEW - Contractual 12 months
The Counsel, Legal Affairs - Labor Law and Litigations mainly provides a high standard of legal counsel, advice, guidance and direction on human-resources related laws and regulations and handles corporate and employee related litigations; always ensuring all relevant situations and issues are managed and resolved in compliance with Canadian legal standards and corporate policies and procedures. In addition, he/she provides legal and business advice to other departments and collaborates with leaders on key initiatives.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Provide guidance, specialized and practical legal advice with respect to regulatory requirements specific to employee relations and human resources programs and practices.
- Responsible for handling employee litigation, and as such, provide sound, thorough legal risk analysis and recommendations in a timely and effective manner, in collaboration with the Human Resources team. Manage relationships with external counsels, as needed.
- As legal partner to other departments, provide current and relevant information and counsel, support leaders in the development and implementation of key activities and projects, and advise of anticipated changes in legal requirements affecting operations. Support BDC’s vision by being a true business partner.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- University degree in Law
- Seven to ten years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of federal laws and regulations regarding human resources and employee relations
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects that involve numerous internal and external stakeholders.
- Member of the Quebec Bar or other Provincial equivalent
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders and to exercise both direct and indirect influence on them.
- Ability to quickly gain credibility by expressing himself/herself confidently and authoritatively, in a polished manner.
- Demonstrated high level of collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to play a front-line role in implementing strategic initiatives.
- Integrity, independence of mind, and the courage to take a stand on important issues.
- Ability to adapt to frequently changing priorities while continuing to pursue key portfolio objectives.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills in both official languages.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At BDC, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.