Senior Legal Counsel
777 Bay Street, Toronto
Led by the Vice-President, Legal & General Counsel, IBC's legal team is responsible for providing legal advice to and supporting a diverse group of internal clients within IBC and its regional offices and members.
The Senior Legal Counsel will report to both the Vice-President, Legal & General Counsel and the Senior Vice President, Human Resources. This role will have responsibilities on a broad range of issues, including: automobile insurance, reviewing and drafting of contracts and supporting IBC's Human Resources department with respect to employment law matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice on automobile insurance law.
- Support Human Resources with respect to employment law issues.
- Monitor and communicate employment law changes.
- Review and counsel on documents related to employment law issues.
- Assist internal client groups in the review and preparation of contracts relating to their operations.
- Monitor legislation and judicial matters that affect IBC members.
- Write bulletins summarizing issues and potential impact on IBC members.
- Member of the Bar of a Canadian province or territory.
- 8 to 10 years of experience in a legal or corporate environment.
- Knowledge of property and casualty insurance.
- Experience in employment law across Canadian jurisdictions.
- Experience in employment litigation would be an asset.
- Experience with corporate law, privacy law and intellectual property law.
- Exceptional writing skills and demonstrated ability to produce a wide variety of communications material.
- Strong leadership/interpersonal skills
- Strong strategic thinking and presentation skills.
- Understanding of trade associations and their relationship to government and other stakeholders.
- Effective relationship-building skills; comfortable working independently or as part of a team; adaptable to changing work volumes and timelines.
- Bilingualism (French & English) an asset.
Please send résumé to:
Human Resources Department
Contact: Azan Khan E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
IBC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
This position qualifies under the Employee Referral Program. IBC is an equal opportunity employer.