Western Forest Products is currently seeking a temporary Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal Team downtown Vancouver. With an expected start date of October 1st, this opportunity is for a 14-month contract with Western.
The Senior Legal Counsel works closely with the Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, and the company’s management and executives, to provide practical, strategic, business-focused legal advice. The Senior Legal Counsel is responsible for leading the review, drafting and negotiation of a wide range of commercial agreements and transactions. You will also manage the development and enhancement of legal precedents, assist in the development and review of legal, governance and other corporate policies, and create, implement and support processes for optimizing delivery of legal services to the business. In addition, you will support the Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary with all corporate governance matters.
The Senior Legal Counsel is the first point of contact in the Company when privacy issues arise and is responsible for overseeing all activities related to the implementation of, and adherence to, the Company’s internal and external privacy policies and ensuring such policies and operational procedures are in compliance with relevant privacy laws. The Senior Legal Counsel manages expectations of organizations and employees about how information is collected, used, and disclosed and access to identifying information.
- Assisting the Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary with corporate governance matters, including, reviewing quarterly and annual disclosure documents; preparing board of directors and committees materials for the Company and its affiliates and joint ventures; preparing annual general meeting materials; and ensuring compliance with securities laws;
- assisting and/or leading transactions, including acquisitions, divestures and financings;
- assisting and/or leading the negotiation, review and drafting of various types of contracts;
- leading the development and enhancement of precedent contracts, including proactively identifying and implementing changes to current precedents to address risk exposure;
- assisting and/or leading the resolution of contract claims and other legal disputes and providing strategic advice in relation to litigation claims;
- staying abreast of changes that impact the Company’s business, including federal and provincial legislation, case law, public company and other regulatory developments in order to provide advice and guidance in a proactive manner;
- reviewing the Company’s legal, governance and other corporate policies on a periodic basis to identify potential compliance risk and developing, improving and implementing policies to minimize such risks;
Education and Experience
- conducting an annual privacy audit and self-assessment; implementing, maintaining and reviewing the Company’s privacy policies; responding to requests for access to and correction of personal information; and leading the reporting of any privacy beach, and liaising with the Information and Privacy Commissioner in the event of an investigation;
- communicating legal, governance and other corporate policies to internal business partners and assisting in the creation and implementation of training and education programs on such policies;
- managing the company’s intellectual property portfolio and strategy;
- assist in managing external counsel, including providing instructions and managing legal spend
- Manages external counsel, including coordinating workflow, reviewing and processing claims,
- managing budgets and providing instructions on behalf of the project team Manages external counsel, including coordinating workflow, reviewing and processing claims,
- managing budgets and providing instructions on behalf of the project team overseeing corporate records management for the Company and its affiliates;
- mentoring and assisting the Paralegal and Administrative Assistant in the Legal Department as a subject matter expert; and
- performing such other duties as assigned by the Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
- Law degree
- Member in good standing of a provincial Law Society
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Minimum of 5-7 years of law firm or corporate legal department experience
- Experience in forest products or other resource-based industries is an asset
- In-house experience is an asset
- Strong corporate / commercial legal skills, including excellent drafting and negotiation, attention to detail and legal research.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
- Sound business judgement that allows you to provide business driven, strategic advice and solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical skills.
- Ability to perform well in a busy operation, exude confidence under pressure, meet tight deadlines and manage multiple and changing priorities.
- Ability to build and manage effective working relationships with personnel from all areas of the business and external counsel
- An appetite to take on new opportunities and challenges, with a passion to continue to develop and grow.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees.