We are looking for Law Clerk/Paralegal to join our growing team!
As a Law Clerk you will play an integral role in the Legal Claims Department working closely with a team to provide clerking support for Insurance Defence files. This exciting in-house role is based in our Dartmouth, NS office.
Here are a few ways you'll make a difference:
- Practice management.
- Drafting pleadings.
- Reviewing productions and providing counsel with a pre-discovery list of further productions/documents/information to request from counsel.
- All facets related to undertakings, include preparing the initial undertakings chart, corresponding with counsel to request undertakings, reviewing answers received to determine whether the undertaking is satisfied, drafting motion materials to compel answers to undertakings.
- All aspects of arranging Independent Medical Examinations, including retaining experts, and preparing briefs for experts.
- Summarizing documents.
- Trial/Arbitration preparation.
- Strong document management skills with the ability to learn and utilize Intact’s various software programs, including the Microsoft Office package of programs.
- Ability to prioritise, organise and execute your tasks in a quality manner with a fast turnaround.
- A desire to be a part of our #oneteam philosophy, supporting our insureds, adjusters, claims representatives, law clerks, legal assistants and lawyers, with a view to customer satisfaction and business continuity.
- Excellent attention to detail and sound proofreading skills, ability to prioritize and organize.
- Excellent communication, listening, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills exercise sound judgment and take initiative.
- Demonstrate a disciplined approach to work.
- Comfort working in a paperless environment.
You must have:
- Have an excellent understanding of all elements of civil litigation, including:
- The Nova Scotia Civil Procedure Rules.
- Have worked as a paralegal/law clerk, with specific experience as an insurance defence paralegal being a definite asset.
- College diploma or university degree in an appropriate field.
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our similarities. That’s why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees. If you need a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that you’ll be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
This posting closes on July 21, 2020.